Slow Burning

Status
Not open for further replies.

PicHold

Solid State Member
I am sure this is a software/OS issue, as opposed to a hardware issue..

Anyway, I've just formatted and upgraded to a diff build of XP. Now, when I burn a cd, it takes about 5-10 minutes.
I have a lite-on 52x24x52 with the firmware updated.

Back when I ran 2k, it burned slowly. I installed XP on, it ran quickly and burned cds between 2-3 minutes, depending on cd length.

Now, I am back on this build of XP with SP1a, and it burns slow.

I have 1gb pc3200 ram, and am running a 2800xp.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

What kind of media are you buring to and what software are you using to burn?

-Mike

only thing I can thing of is that the media itself may be burning at a lower speed. Make sure it is 52x media and make sure the software is set to burn at that speed as well.

I've always used nero, and have been able to burn at 52x with both OS's.

Same media on both OS's. Set to burn at 52x on both OS's.

Before, I could burn and listen to music all the while.. now my comp struggles when burning.

I'll probably end up going back to the other OS unless I can get a helpful hint here, heh.

I just formatted and put a diff version of XP Sp1 on it, and it burned normal speed + I could play music while doing it.

Guess it was just my copies of XP and W2k.

But, now I install the rest of my files and see if it slows it down, and locate my problem!

PicHold, did you clean out your cache folder? Nero backs up stuff you're burning to a cache folder (you can find the path easy in Nero). If that starts getting full Nero will give all sorts of error messages. Even stuff like unable to burn and the like.

I dunno. Maybe that could have been taking up system resources and messed with your machine? Hard to tell without seeing the problem first hand.

I've never used Nero but have heard about cache file woes if it's not cleaned out regularly.

Cheers!

IT was a fresh install, and the first time I tried to burn.

I am positive it was the OS.

A friend had "injected" critical updates into it apparently.

Go to Control Panel->System->Hardware Tab->Device Manager.
When you get there, open the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers branch and then open the properties of Primary IDE or Secondary IDE channels (it depends on wich IDE channel your CD-RW is connected). When opened the properties window go to the Advanced Settings Tab and tell me what is the value in Transfer Mode Combo Boxes of both Device 0 and Device 1 (PIO Only or DMA if avaliable).

one thing that slows the procces is having the cd burner as slave check that too and you'll see the diff.. 10 minutes takes to do a vcd and i keep my music playing while doing it

It's been default winXP settings, and now it works fine.

Just don't know -why- it ****ed up in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom