Slow bootup in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

LindaM

Beta member
I'm getting very frustrated finding out what's going on with my computer. I have a new (4 month old) Compaq Presario X1000, 60 gb hard drive, 512 megabyte RAM, DVD/CD-RW drive, running Windows XP Home. Not sure what else you need to know at this point. About 3 weeks ago Outlook suddenly went unstable, crashing everytime I went into the email program. I'd get a message about not being able to open a mail folder because it was missing a .pst handle. Then the calendar feature also started locking up. Then I noticed that bootup started taking longer and longer (it previously booted in a flash), then started going briefly to a blue screen, then to the Compaq log in screen. My son, who is a beginning technician at Best Buy, checked with his fellow geeks, but no one had a clue. He called another computer builder/service person, he had no clue, but suggested we do a deep virus scan in safe mode. It kept getting hung up when it reached system 32, mui folders. They all had the .dll extension. The service tech said to find the file, delete it to the recycle bin so I could restore it if necessary, and then continue. I did this repeatedly, having to delete about a dozen files in a sequence from this folder. Ultimately, I gave up that scan mode because the scan kept hanging up. The deletion of the files didn't appear to make any difference (although I don't know if I would have had more problems down the line), so I ultimately restored them all because I didn't want to create even more problems.

BTW, I have scanned for viruses several times (and never found any) and have used 3 different spyware programs which have each found a few spyware, but not many (I do this regularly, so I don't get a huge number). I had done a disk cleanup and a lengthy defragmentation just before this all started, so I don't know if that might have misplaced something.

I finally uninstalled Microsoft Office and re-installed it (luckily the disk came with the computer). While Outlook now seems to work OK, the bootup problem still remains. It takes about 30-40 seconds to just go through the Windows XP screen, where the little light keeps going from left to right. Then it goes to blue screen, or sometimes a black screen, then to the Compaq screen.

I finally did a chckdsk last night--my son had neglected to tell me that it was available and I found it by chance--it found two clusters, one in that infamous MUI-outlook.pst file, and another one also in the MUI file labeled 040Ahhctrlui.dll. It repaired both clusters, and found nothing else.

It still takes forever (I know that's subjective--my old 98 computer takes way longer still!) to boot. My biggest concern is that this is a prelude to bigger problems and I want to stop it now if I can.

I have very little installing at bootup, although I can't help but feel that it actually hasn't gotten to that part of the bootup anyway. I do have a number of programs on the quick launch bar, but again that shouldn't have anything to do with the beginning bootup should it?

I do have the installation disk if I have to reinstall, but I really don't want to go that route if I don't have to as my son says it will mess up everything on the computer and I really don't want to have to move everything off first. I can--just don't want to unless there is no other recourse.

Does anyone know what's going on?

LindaM

This should be very simple.

Go to Start / Run / type MSCONFIG

Go to the startup tab which is the last tab, click disable all. Reboot and you should see a significant difference. Also, how many icons are in your taskbar?

Did you try running any adaware programs such as spybot search and destroy and ad aware se? If not, when you reboot, run these programs.

Here are the links for those programs which are free:

AdAware Se Personal

Spybot Search and Destroy 1.4

Post back if this works or not.

Warez Monster--

I disabled all the startup items. No change. Well, actually, it took a lot longer. So I selectively restored the ones that were needed.

I regularly use SpyBot, Ad-Aware, and Microsoft Anti-spyware. The only thing that comes up is minor data miners.

I have very few icons on my task bar--just the ones for my virus checker, internet icon, volume, etc. I also disabled the QuickLaunch toolbar, but it doesn't change anything. I don't think it has anything to do with the startup items anyway, as this all happens before the actual bootup. It's not a slowness in loading various resident software, but when I first turn it on.

Blitze105--

What is diskeeper?

I had defragged just before this all started. It makes me wonder if something got misplaced. I'm reluctant to do so again, but I will do it now and report back.

Linda

This won't probably help you as much as you wish, as you'll have to read through it and pick out what you need/want. However, this is good for future reference, and you should keep note of what's included:

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?threadid=53623

Nice stuff here. There are a bunch of headings to deal with your problem, even though general, it may still help.

Is your computer just slow?
is one heading, and
Does your computer keep slowing down?
is another.

-SkyHi

PS- Thanks Blitze105 for the nice post.

A customer of mine had a similar problem. He had a hd that was going bad and it crashed sporadically and caused bad sectors, and was also very long to startup. Possibly could be your problem.

Yes do a checkdisk.
diskeeper is a defragger, a great one at that. I used it and now my shut downs are about 5 seconds, and boot ups are about 8-10.
do as my post said and delete your prefetch as well.
what part of your boot up is slow? does it take a long time to for your icons to appear? or does the windows logo stay up forever?

It's the windows logo that stays up forever, as much as 90 seconds (when I bother to count).

My son downloaded DFT (they use it at Best Buy to diagnose disk problems) and it says that there are one or more sectors that are bad and to contact the disk provider. Since it's under warranty I have to call Compaq to find out who in my area is an authorized service provider. If there's not one in my area, I might say nuts to the warranty and just get a new drive and have BestBuy (with my son overseeing it) transfer the data.

Linda

Warranties are awesome. :)
I suggest making sure uget all of ur files backed up on a burned cd just incase they mess up your hard drive or want you to send it in for a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom