Slow boot-up and slow loading - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 11:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Slow boot-up and slow loading

I have a decent computer. P4 3.4 ghz 1gb ram yada yada.

Im running windows xp pro.

I've been running fine for about 2 months now when all of a sudden my computer started acting up, it first wouldnt boot into windows it would only power up. I did nothing at all and the next day it worked fine again. The day after that everything went to crap, slow boot up into windows (53 blue loading screen bars) and opening windows such as my computer or msconfig took nearly 30-40 seconds to open. I downloaded memtest86 and ran that with no errors to my memory.

Im stumped, can anyone tell me whats going on, I hit Alt-Ctrl-Del and brought up the processes window and nothing seems to be making my cpu run overly much so I dont know whats going on.

Also sound is messed up, When listening to a song and if i open a web browser or any window the song will skip as if it was trying to load a huge program. Could it be my hard drive?

Anyones tips/tricks would help me out right now as im so stumped. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-06-2006, 11:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Have you ran all your Anti-Virus programs, Ad-ware, Mal-ware, Spy-ware? Run those programs in SAFE MODE to get best results.

Old 10-06-2006, 11:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Yes Sir, I also have mcafee AV 2005 to protect my system too.
I really do not wanna reformatt AGAIN but it seems that i might have to... *sigh*
Old 10-06-2006, 11:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Alright, you might have to, there is nothing better than a clean install anyway. Do you have a partition to save your important files on?
Old 10-06-2006, 11:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Thats the problem, I have no way of backing anythign up other than burning it to multiple CD's

Then Ide have to back up emails and sigh.... its such a hassel.

Anyways, Im going to bed, Ill check this thread in the morning, thx to all that help.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

PM Me, on here, or AOL or Yahoo...

AOL = JeremiahCoffel88
Yahoo = Must_Be_High_To_Function
Old 10-07-2006, 01:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

»\_(ツ)_/»

Try following these:
http://techist.com/showthread.php?s=...ted#post938358

Also, i don't trust McAfee. It has burnt me more than once before. try an online scan. TrendMicro has a great one:
http://www.trendmicro.com/hc_intro/default.asp

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 10-08-2006, 02:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Ty trotter for the link, I did every step it told me to, downloaded the software, updated it then ran it in the order on the website. It worked awsome, my programs load instantly like they should be, I deleted all the spyware and stuff those programs found, i uninstalled unnecesary programs and I have very few programs starting up in msconfig (drivers, firewall)

Although I still have one small problem, although my ocmputer when started up runs flawlessly now, it still takes a while to boot up at the windows loading screen with tthe blue bar.

Is there any other tips you can give me to lower this?

Thanks to all that helped me out.
Also I deleted Mcafee and am now using AVG anti-virus.

Edit - Ack it didnt fix the skipping of music. When I play a music file it skips and my mouse skips too, my mouse will skip across the sceen.

What is this from?

I went and downloaded the latest drivers for my sound as well, still nothing fixed...
Old 10-08-2006, 04:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to Skeeg

do a google search for bootvis. that will help increase boot speed. i did 4 hours of xp tweaking last night and my comp flys lol.

i used this site - http://www.mdgx.com/wxp.htm has tons of like how to's and boot and shutdown faster things. my computer shuts down in about 5sec, boots in like 6.

Closed Thread