Slow boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarhed69

Beta member
Hello, I am new to the forum. I am having a problem with my computer. It is a Gateway PIII, 733Mhz, 256 ram, 80gb hd. The problem is that when i restart or turn on my computer the boot up takes about 10 minutes. This is relatively new in the last week or so. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

jarhed69 said:
Hello, I am new to the forum. I am having a problem with my computer. It is a Gateway PIII, 733Mhz, 256 ram, 80gb hd. The problem is that when i restart or turn on my computer the boot up takes about 10 minutes. This is relatively new in the last week or so. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

what is your os? does you bios or os boot slow or both?

Sorry, I am using xp pro sp1. It shows the gateway screen and then starts xp with the green field. It then just loads everything very slowly. When the desktop comes up all the icons, the tray icons and the messenger open up slowly. i can see the light spinning for the hard drive at times.
I hope this is enough info.

jarhed69 said:
Sorry, I am using xp pro sp1. It shows the gateway screen and then starts xp with the green field. It then just loads everything very slowly. When the desktop comes up all the icons, the tray icons and the messenger open up slowly. i can see the light spinning for the hard drive at times.
I hope this is enough info.

get the virus and spyware scans done first

As mentioned run a virus and spyware scan.

Then if no joy try going to Start, Run, type Msconfig
go to Startup tab and disable all or uncheck all.
Restart the PC and see if it loads fast like it use to.
You will need to check and reboot each one to find out
which one may be causing the problem.

You can try deleting the drive_letter:\Windows\Prefetch
folder and allowing Windows XP to rebuild it automatically.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom