Slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

laptop58

Solid State Member
up until about 3 days ago my daughters laptop was working fine. for some reason it is running really really slow. i ran spybot, adware, avg cc cleaner disk cleaner. def-rag scan disk etc. i also ran all of that stuff in safemode as well. i found two virus's but it's still running slow. there is enough space on the harddrrive so that's not it. what can it be? please help.

i am running windows xp

try cleaning out the unwanted registry or try defragmenting it. id suggest downloading the "Tuneup Utilities 06/ or 07 Trial" (neat program).
Or u can pull out the battery from the laptop and let it sit there for Half an hour to clear up some RAM, Or disable some programs that start up with the system.

BTW how old is this laptop and what kind of temperatures is it running?

In your list of steps, I noticed you did not put msconfig down. Though you did put down "etc." So if you already did an msconfig, you can skip this post.

Anyway.
Start > run > msconfig > startup tab.
Here you will see a list of things that start with windows. Everything in this list is not required for windows to boot. However, many items enable certain pieces of hardware to do their job, or for your antivirus or firewall to be functional.

If you're unfamiliar with what one of the items in the list is, you can check this site:
http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

Compare the item to what's on the site. It'll tell you what the item is used for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom