Slipstream Failed

Thorax_the_Impaler

Minecraft Veteran
Hello everyone! And thanks in advance for your time and answers. :)

I recently tried to install Windows XP on my Compaq Presario CQ56-115DX laptop, and I have again met failure and a blue screen upon startup.bmy most recent attempt involved slipstreaming SP3 into the installation disk, and while that was successful, the installation of the OS still refuses to get past loading the installation files. I'm more determined than ever to get this to work.

I apologize for not finishing my thoughts up above, I am using a mobile app and accidentally hit send. -.- Anyhow, my next move is to slipstream the drivers for the hardware in my laptop onto the disk. Would this work? Thanks again everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
I apologize for not finishing my thoughts up above, I am using a mobile app and accidentally hit send. -.- Anyhow, my next move is to slipstream the drivers for the hardware in my laptop onto the disk. Would this work? Thanks again everyone!

Yes it should work, if your trying to make your own windows xp disc it'll work but you gotta know what your doing.
One foul up or 2 on creating the iso, and there goes your windows 2000/xp3 disc and half the day.
I would rather you just find a a good iso with sp3 integrated and just move on.
I'll pm you some details shortly.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f128/tired-losing-drivers-when-you-reinstall-xp-168321/
http://winsupersite.com/windows-xp/slipstreaming-windows-xp-service-pack-3-sp3

I would suggest these 2 guides. First you need to make sure that the ISO you have for XP is bootable before you even start the process. If it isnt, then your not going to get anywhere. From there use NLite to slipstream XP SP3. Make sure that it is checked to be bootable!!!

You cant just take the XP Files from a drive, use NLite and make it a Bootable install media. You need to make a direct ISO copy of the XP CD (SP2) that is already bootable for this process to work properly.

Hello everyone! And thanks in advance for your time and answers. :)

I recently tried to install Windows XP on my Compaq Presario CQ56-115DX laptop, and I have again met failure and a blue screen upon startup.bmy most recent attempt involved slipstreaming SP3 into the installation disk, and while that was successful, the installation of the OS still refuses to get past loading the installation files. I'm more determined than ever to get this to work.

It's probably BSOD'ing because you don't have the right drivers slipstreamed on the nLite ISO. You most likely need to slipstream the SATA drivers for XP for your laptop. Either that, or see if you can disable AHCI mode and enable IDE mode in place of it for your HDD.

Yes it should work, if your trying to make your own windows xp disc it'll work but you gotta know what your doing.
One foul up or 2 on creating the iso, and there goes your windows 2000/xp3 disc and half the day.
I would rather you just find a a good iso with sp3 integrated and just move on.
I'll pm you some details shortly.

Not sure how it would be half of a day. Roughly ~20 minutes to initially copy the files from the original disc, 10 minutes to select everything and slipstream everything if you have it on hand already, and then another 10 minutes to burn the disc. And since CD's are a few pennies per disc, it wouldn't be that critical to get it right the first time.

Last edited:
@All: The ISO file I created with nLite is bootable; I tested it on my main computer as well as backups. My laptop is the only computer that refuses to boot off the disk.....which was the same story with the original installation disk. It starts loading the files to install Windows and then bluescreens after it loads the files, or sometimes halfway or so through. According to things I've read about this laptop, it does not natively support XP due to hardware/software incompatibilities and driver issues with the original installation disks; or rather that is how i understood the information i stumbled upon. Everything I've found that hinted XP on this system briefly mentioned that if one wanted to put XP onto the machine, they would need to slipstream SP3 onto the a bootable disk to install it. One article however mentioned slipstreaming drivers as well, which is why I asked if it would work. Thanks for the answers guys I really appreciate them!

@All: The ISO file I created with nLite is bootable; I tested it on my main computer as well as backups. My laptop is the only computer that refuses to boot off the disk.....which was the same story with the original installation disk. It starts loading the files to install Windows and then bluescreens after it loads the files, or sometimes halfway or so through. According to things I've read about this laptop, it does not natively support XP due to hardware/software incompatibilities and driver issues with the original installation disks; or rather that is how i understood the information i stumbled upon. Everything I've found that hinted XP on this system briefly mentioned that if one wanted to put XP onto the machine, they would need to slipstream SP3 onto the a bootable disk to install it. One article however mentioned slipstreaming drivers as well, which is why I asked if it would work. Thanks for the answers guys I really appreciate them!

See my previous post.

You probably need the SATA drivers slipstreamed in.

Back
Top Bottom