Skype - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 03:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Default Skype

Yes my friend was dumb enougth to fall for the "no spyware promise" at thier site. Shortelly after installing his computer slowed down I suspect it's spyware from Skype becuase the founder is also the founder of Kazaa. What I do not understand is Spysweeper 4.0.3 will not detect any spyware please help me.

Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 07-06-2005, 03:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I doubt it's Skype, it doesn't have any spyware in it, even though this may be hard to believe with the Kazaa link. Try some other spyware detection software, like Ad-Aware or Spybot Search and Destroy.

\'There is only one basic human right, and that is to do as you **** well please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, to take the consequences.\'

Old 07-06-2005, 04:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I'll try but I don't see the point spysweeper is 10 times better than those two junker programs. But I'm also curious by your comment Skype has no spyware are you for real. It is from the FOUNDER of KAZAA. I find that very hard to believe.
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 07-06-2005, 04:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Him
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Him Send a message via Yahoo to Him

Spysweeper is not nearly as good as Adaware and Spybot. Those two in conjunction cannot really be beat. Also try the Microsoft Anti-spyware, even though it is MS, it works EXCELLENTLY!
Old 07-06-2005, 04:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Yeah, I have had a Google on it, but there are differing opinions. I've used it a lot and I've never detected anything on my computer, and it runs fine.

\'There is only one basic human right, and that is to do as you **** well please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, to take the consequences.\'

Old 07-06-2005, 04:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

those two programs are nothing compaired to the great spysweeper just checked the definition lists and then add in the comprehensive features spysweeper ads in to make the program more usefull and better it's auto protect features. I have yet to find a program that can beat it's real time protection but I'm not here to start a fan boy war.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

Yeah dude, Spysweeper sucks. I ran Counterspy after Spysweeper and it found 3 things that Spysweeper missed.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via ICQ to daappleby

I use skype and spysweeper corporate and love both, never had any issues. Spysweeper lags out my games though I have to turn it off. Once I do that everything smoothes out and I can play css and hl2 with all the highest settings Skype runs in the backgroud just fine and I get no lagg at all. It might spike my ping once in awhile so I just turn it off when I am playing online. Along with trillian and xfire and the kodak updater and quicktime tray and realtray....

Help us Help you:

1) <b>RTFM</b>
2) Search TF using <b>more than one</b> keyword or combination of words
3) Post specific details. We need your computer specs, your OS, and any details from the error messages you get.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

They all have their place. I run ALL of them and they all seem to find either the same or a few extras or a few less that each other dont find or find. They all remove spyware.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Techie

u start off my saying spysweeper wont find things u want it to, then to go on saying its 10 times better than adaware and spybot s+d and then on to say that those 2 progs r nothing compared to spysweeper. if its so good then what r u here for, if it didnt find anything then it must not b there especially with the greatest real time protection ever. nothing bad should have ever gotten installed in the first place.

btw with ppl saying skype is spyware free( i dunno, never used it) i suspect that ur suspicions on skype installing spyware and slowing down ur friends computer are not right and this isnt a spyware issue at all

MSI ms-6738
768mb ddr2100
Nvidia mx420 :(
60gig maxtor 7200rpm
Dual boot with Mandrake 10.0 and Win XP Pro sp2
Closed Thread