Six Vista annoyances fixed in Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
you sure about that?
because in control panel you can choose what the power button do, and shut down is one of them. therefore I think it was meant to work like that :)

Mak? baby where you at?

When pressing the power button here you have to hold it pressed to see the system simply shutoff no matter what is running. If you use the Start>shutdown option then Windows will shutdown and turn everything off on it's own.

Fat Clown is right.

PowerButton.png

Just PRESSING the power button you can have it do what you want. HOLDING the power button cuts the power and therefor shuts the PC down.

2 different terms with 2 different actions.

You are talking about HOLDING the power button compressed in to cut the power to the system. They are referring to just a simple Press and release.

Plus in Windows 7 you can change that button as well. I have mine set for Restart and i have to expand it to see shutdown.

startmenu.png

When simply giving a momentary press on the button with this case and previous you may see Windows shutter a little but will never shutdown entirely here despite having the power button set to shutdown. On prebuilds you have to expect something different there. Companies will set their systems up to see that happen.

Windows 7 is a different item there entirely as you should know well since that will see a good number of different options not seen in previous versions. "do nothing, sleep, hibernate, shutdown" are the usual options seen in the power options.

Yes but the point being that upon PRESSING the button you do not have to have it shut down. You have the option to change that.

Upon HOLDING the button you will get a forced shut down. Jsut as if you had pulled the power cord.

You made it seem that both options were the same. They are not. You were wrong. Pressing the button does not force a shut down of Windows.

I think a lot of it has more to do with the actual power buttons seen on various types of cases there. On a premade system the sensitivity is higher for the light touch while if you work with a gaming case you have to press a little harder resulting in a more sustained contact.

In Vista you don't have the option for setting that to restart but instead have to go down the list in the dropdown menu there.

A press is a press is a press. It doesnt matter the case, it doesnt matter the button.

If you press it, have it make contact and release it right away that is a press. If you have it make contact and do not release. That is a hold. Do we have to break out the Webster for this? Seriously?

A press is a press. As soon as it makes contact you let go. Press. Seems simple enough.

Also your point in the PM to me was right so lets confront that now. You were right. I didnt give the drop down menu which would have shown that there was no reboot or restart option there.

button.png

Okay so i set my button to do nothing. Now if i PRESS the power button will it still shut down?

No? Well why not? You said it would?!?

Because a Press is not the same as holding down the power button. You must hold the power button down for at LEAST 5 seconds in order to get the kill command. Even if you had a button that was a bit harder to press, you still wouldnt have to hold it there for that long to give the kill command.

What I was trying to point out there was often when tapping the power button the most seen was just as if I had hit the reset button unless sustaining it until it actually shutdown. Another thing that will have an effect is the power settings in the bios. Generally you want that set to user defined.

Correct. When i "press" the power button, it tells windows to shut down. If you "hold" the power button, its like pulling the plug.

Now you are just going in circles trying to defend your statement.

Pressing, now tapping.

Face it you were wrong. No matter how you try to spin it with tapping, multiple presses and so on. Each ends up the same exact way.

A press is a press. Be it if you did it once and waited for Windows to react. Or you held it down till you got the kill signal and the PC shut down as if the power had been pulled.

Any which way you look at it you were wrong. You said pressing the button will cause it to shut down. That is not correct. Holding it will. Pressing it will give the user defined action. No trying to reword it. No trying to explain it a different way so that we try to see it your way. I have proven with no doubt that a press will not shut down a PC. A Hold will. Several have backed me on this.

It depends on the motherboard and BIOS. I've had some PC's where a slight tap and it's off, lol.

EDIT: And by the way, you guys are nitpicking.

Most of the time, simply pressing the button will cause either a prompt or a user defined action to occur.

Holding the power button will turn the PC completely off instantly.

End of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom