Six Vista annoyances fixed in Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a lot of it has more to do with the actual power buttons seen on various types of cases there. On a premade system the sensitivity is higher for the light touch while if you work with a gaming case you have to press a little harder resulting in a more sustained contact.

In Vista you don't have the option for setting that to restart but instead have to go down the list in the dropdown menu there.

A switch is a switch. It's a push-button switch, not a toggle switch or anything like that (sensitivity would be more like a pot vs a switch).

Like Mak said, it depends on what you set it to do in the Power Options (XP, Vista, 7, doesn't matter) when you press the power button. Simply pressing (push in, let go), you can set it to either Do Nothing, prompt, hibernate, or shut down. Holding it for 4-5 seconds however, is a force shut down. You may be thinking of the reset switch, eyeCpc. And like CrazeD said, it depends on what you set it to in the BIOS. I have mine set to wait 4 seconds, but I can also set it to Instant Off when I press the power button.

The type of button in the case doesn't matter, is its just a pushbutton switch in all cases (forget the actual term for the switch...too late for me to be thinking right now).

You may be thinking of the reset switch, eyeCpc. And like CrazeD said, it depends on what you set it to in the BIOS. I have mine set to wait 4 seconds, but I can also set it to Instant Off when I press the power button.

The type of button in the case doesn't matter, is its just a pushbutton switch in all cases (forget the actual term for the switch...too late for me to be thinking right now).

No I'm thinking of the reset "button" most cases see. The bios setting however would play a bigger role there. If the delay is set longer then you likely expect to see Windows exit before the power turned off. But with many boards the defaults are generally short.

As far as the buttons most are momentary contact while some are on/off switches. Here while Windows is running a a quick press of the button doesn't even bring up a prompt. To see the system shutoff you have to hold the button.

Now getting back to how 7 supposedly fixes annoyances seen with previous versions of Windows one thing not mentioned was a new type of annoyance that will be seen with 7. Microsoft strips email and photo apps from Windows 7 | News | Custom PC

Mak will have to pm me about another MVP that posted about this just a short time before this post.

The removing of those was explained in the Windows 7 thread, I believe. It's because they're promoting Live. Why have 2 versions of something? It's a waste. Mak explains it all in the Win7 thread I believe, so get to searching ;).

Also, last I checked... button ~ switch ;).

The removing of those was explained in the Windows 7 thread, I believe. It's because they're promoting Live. Why have 2 versions of something? It's a waste. Mak explains it all in the Win7 thread I believe, so get to searching ;).

What you don't know is how that will effect those who see their emails by way of ISP presently come into the inbox for Outlook, Outlook Express, or Windows Mail. The inbox there sees the user name and password assigned by the ISP for receiving mail off of the server.

Unless your ISP just happens to be MSN you wouldn't be able to send or receive your current mail when adding that account to Live Mail. I think you may need to search a bit since that was already tested here. I guess XP or Vista will be in use here for a lot longer afterall.

So download and use Thunderbird? Or one of the other how many e-mail clients? I'm sure if you looked on M$'s site, you could find their version available for download as well...

I've used Tbird before. That's not a bad idea for those that will be running into this type of problem.

You can express your thanks to the wonderful people in the open source OS community and Mozilla for that. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom