Single OS computer stuck on GRUB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaydenPerry

Solid State Member
I'm not too sure what GRUB is, but I've booted my computer this morning instead of Windows booting, this weird multi-boot thing called 'GRUB' has booted. I can't seem to get rid of it, any of the commands I do just won't get rid of it. Just trust me when I say I cannot get past or exit out of GRUB while GRUB is on. Unless I switch off my PC of course.

Anyway, here are the things I have done to try and get rid of it:

- Every command on GRUB
- Windows Repair on the Windows installation disc
- bootrec.exe /all 4 of them
- System restore (I had no restore points)

I don't wanna re-install Windows because I have a bunch of files on my hard drive that I want that I don't want to risk losing, so please don't ask me to reinstall Windows.

I was talking to a guy on Yahoo! and he told me to do this bootrec.exe thing, and when I did bootrec.exe /fixmbr the console told me it was fixed, so I rebooted my PC and it just ended up back at GRUB. I tried the other 3 commands, but they all said something like I had no installed OS, which was weird because the Windows installation recognized my Windows version and stuff when I clicked on 'repair'.

Help would be greatly appreciated, thank you so much. Just ask me if there is anything you need me to do to get this fixed.

P.S. Here are my computer specs.:

- Biostar BIOS
- Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
- 2GB of RAM
- 1GB graphics memory
- Some dual core AMD processor
I can't really remember the rest, sorry... I can't get into my computer

Open up Command Prompt on the Windows Install Disk and try "Bootrec.exe /FixMbr"

Do you have a disk in your optical drive or a USB device connected?

I have a Windows 7 Ultimate installation disc currently in one of my two optical drives, which I have booted without and still get the same results. I only have 3 USB devices currently plugged in which are my printer, my mouse and my wireless LAN card. (My keyboard is the old socket, the round one)

This thread is really old (2004-2006), but it still might be worth a read through:
How to remove GRUB loader!?

I've never tried these, but apparently they worked six years ago :tongue:

Code:
C:\WINDOWS 
CD .. 
FIXBOOT C: 
FIXMBR 
BOOTCFG /rebuild

Somehow the GRUB bootloader has been installed on your primary boot device. It is important to work out what your primary boot device is and why GRUB is installed there. My thinking is that maybe it was installed by your hardware manufacturer, maybe to provide a Disk Rescue function but that is just a guess.

Have you checked the boot order in the BIOS?

This thread is really old (2004-2006), but it still might be worth a read through:
How to remove GRUB loader!?

I've never tried these, but apparently they worked six years ago :tongue:

Code:
C:\WINDOWS 
CD .. 
FIXBOOT C: 
FIXMBR 
BOOTCFG /rebuild

This didn't help me at all. I had a long read of it, and either I have tried them but failed, or I didn't really understand them. Also, the code thing you gave me didn't work. The bootcfg /rebuild didn't work but there were some other bootcfg / stuff but they didn't really work either.

Somehow the GRUB bootloader has been installed on your primary boot device. It is important to work out what your primary boot device is and why GRUB is installed there. My thinking is that maybe it was installed by your hardware manufacturer, maybe to provide a Disk Rescue function but that is just a guess.

Have you checked the boot order in the BIOS?

I have checked the boot order in the BIOS, and it's all in check there's nothing wrong with it.

Hm... At this point the only thing I can think of is actually installing a copy of Ubuntu or another OS that uses GRUB (so GRUB is reinstalled) and then trying this procedure over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom