Simple Default Drive when installing question... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 09:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to KNiGHTMaRe89
Default Simple Default Drive when installing question...

I am getting ready to buy a couple new hard drives and had a simple question. I will be buying a 40GB HDD for System use only and a 500GB storage for mass storage.

Is there a way to default Program Files drive to another HDD instead of the C:, or is there a way to default all programs to a different drive when installing them instead of C:?

If anyone is confused, I can elaborate some more.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: Simple Default Drive when installing question...

No. There is no way to have your storage drive be on the 500GB Drive. While installin almost all apps they ask you where you want them to be stored and you can place them on the 500GB but that will not save you in the event of a format and reinstall. As there are more than jsut those files installed when a applicaiton installs. There are hidden files stored on the system drive along with registry keys.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 03-06-2008, 02:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to KNiGHTMaRe89
Default Re: Simple Default Drive when installing question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli213 View Post
No. There is no way to have your storage drive be on the 500GB Drive. While installin almost all apps they ask you where you want them to be stored and you can place them on the 500GB but that will not save you in the event of a format and reinstall. As there are more than jsut those files installed when a applicaiton installs. There are hidden files stored on the system drive along with registry keys.
Yeah, I kind of figured that, just something I always wondered. I will just relocate My Pictures, My Music, My Documents and My Videos.
Closed Thread