That silly red cross thing. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 12-28-2003, 01:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default That silly red cross thing.

Why is it that now and again, generally when browsing, that a little red cross appears instead of an image, and how can this be rectified?

Thanks in advance

Old 12-28-2003, 04:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to Emily

The red X shows up when the path that's in the HTML for the image points to a nonexistent file. There's nothing that you can do about it except email the person who made the webpage and tell them they've got a broken image on their site.

Old 12-28-2003, 05:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

I don't think so, Emily. Sometimes, when red cross appears, I just only refresh the web page (press F5), everything will be ok.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via ICQ to RoyalW Send a message via AIM to RoyalW Send a message via Yahoo to RoyalW

If you can see this ---> The I dont think you have a problem at all. But if you dont see it and just see a red cross again then you may wanna check into your browser settings, firewall settings, popup settings etc...

Emily is correct in saying that most times it is because the pic dont exist anymore (take note that my example pic will one day be gone) Though in the case of a slight dose of lag in an internet connection can also cause this problem.
It can sometimes be resolved by refreshing your browser as Traudong suggested.
Windows XP Pro 2002 (SP2)

Intel Northwood 2.4GHz
Compaq Evo D510 SFF
768MB DDR PC2100
Intel 82801 (AC\'97)
C: 40GB (FAT32)
Closed Thread