*sigh* HP printer - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 01:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default *sigh* HP printer

normally, I would list this under the hardware side, but I know this strictly has to deal with the driver/software and how it's affecting my machines

Here's the deal, I have an HP all-in-one 7140xi officejet with a 200m printserver (also HP) Use to not give me any trouble. We lost power, and the DHCP issued it a new IP when the power came back on. Only two machines use this printer. I was able to get the printer side working by config. the TCP/IP and changing the IP addy. However, the scan portion wouldn't work. When I checked the programs/utilities, there was no way to change the IP so I uninstalled and reinstalled.

Here's where the problem came up.

1.) HP seems to want to create a new shortcut of each and every program/utility (not driver) everytime I boot up. either machine.
2.) Both machines now take around 10 to 15 min. to boot up. When I look at the process manager, HP wants to cook up multiple instances of the same process, four or five unique process's
3.)In the system tray, I get two icons, one saying it's disconnected, the other saying things are just fine.
4.) as a side deal, It's always asking for registration (have already done that) and to take a survey( ditto) so i finally tell it to not and not remind me again, it still does. (think it has to do with the new shortcuts it's creating

I have been to HP.com, and to no avail. I've talked to technicians, nothing

Questions
1.) did I miss something with the uninstall. I used windows Add/Remove programs for the utilities, and just deleted the driver from the printers and faxes window.
2.) This is not the only printer these machines have, the other are local (HP and samsung) with no problem. Was it not installed correctly?
3.)Frankly, this baffles me. Does the programs/utilites/drivers, were they developed in .NET so they need time to iron themselves out?
4.)Is there anything I missed, period?

thanks in advance

Ubuntu - it\'s all about the bun\'s baby!!!
Old 11-07-2005, 05:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
It's all just 1s and 0s

Send a message via MSN to office politics

with some hp printers this is typical. some models force you to load all their crapware with the driver. Best thing you can do is goto add/remove to uninstall the crapware and then followup with hijackthis for anything you missed.

i would set the printserver with a static ip.

Old 11-07-2005, 05:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Thanks, where would I get hijackthis??? torrentz or is there another place??
Ubuntu - it\'s all about the bun\'s baby!!!
Old 11-07-2005, 06:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

uninstall your scanner software. head to your C:\WINDOWS\twain_32 folder. cut at and paste any file(s) that make reference to HP (I have 3 files in my folder) or whatever scanner that you own to a new folder to in your documents called Scanner driver Backup.

reinstall the scanner software.

Closed Thread