Re: Shutting the computer down.....
Encourage Windows XP to Power Off at Shutdown
1. Click Start, then click the Run command.
2. Type REGEDIT in the Open text box and click OK.
3. Navigate to the following Registry key: HKEY CURRENT USER\Control Panel\Desktop
4. Find the PowerOffActive entry in the right pane of the Registry Editor and double click on it.
5. In the Edit String dialog box, replace the 0 in the Value data text box with a 1, then click OK.
6. Restart the computer.
This does not work all the time as it depends on the type of hardware (motherboard) you have in your computer, but it won't hurt anything, so give it a try.