shutdown/startup issues - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 05:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via ICQ to Cunjo Send a message via Yahoo to Cunjo

To be quite blunt, the XP firewall sucks. Since I can't customize settings in it, or leave certian ports unmonitored, it does less than nothing for me.

I'll disable ZA in MSconfig and see if it makes a difference.

Old 09-12-2004, 06:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

agreed, it does suck, but until we can isolate what is causing this may need to use it temporarily.

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Old 09-14-2004, 12:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

So far so good after disabling ZA pro on my computer.

side note: I just updated windows on the other computer (the one I'm posting from now) and the free ZA version it is running is suddenly operating slower as well. This computer is due to recieve the PSP2, mine however is not, and will need a third party firewall to replace ZA.

Could someone confirm a possible compatability problem with ZA and recent XP home and pro edition updates? Also, is PSP2 more likely to solve or compound this problem?
Old 09-14-2004, 05:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

oh, sp2 has some problems... lot of people been posting about it. Haven't updated to it myself due to all the problems I've heard.

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Old 09-14-2004, 06:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Techie

i have zalarm pro 4.5.538.001 and all win xp pro updates except sp2 with no problems
MSI ms-6738
768mb ddr2100
Nvidia mx420 :(
60gig maxtor 7200rpm
Dual boot with Mandrake 10.0 and Win XP Pro sp2
Old 09-14-2004, 06:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

MS Word just went suicidal... it keeps giving me this:

I REALLY need to get this fixed... preferably an hour ago.

ZA pro is running now, but I have to start up the computer first and then start ZA pro once Its had time to boot completely.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:23 PM   #17 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Cunjo I would just try reinstalling Windows. Looks like corruption to me
Old 09-15-2004, 10:28 AM   #18 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

That is the last thing I wanted to do...

However, since my computer has apparently fallen terminally ill from it's microsoft infection, I think I'll have to take that advice.

Perhaps it's time to consider switching to linux; Windows XP seems to have a suicidal personality.

Unless anyone thinks I should do otherwise, I will probably write zeros to the drive this upcoming weekend and reformat/reinstall. The biggest problem, is that I don't have a 6-hour block of time (however divided) to spend reinstalling my system and everything else I need on it.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I would stick to winXP, but this time use Symantec Ghost to save an image of your partition. You can use that to restore the image whenever your operating system becomes corrupted again. It takes very little time to set this up, but saves you hours of work and frustration.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:12 PM   #20 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I have Roxio Goback Deluxe that can create restore drives, however my problem is that my HDD is not big enough to hold the entirety of my local disk. Would Symantec's Ghost be able to work around that? (split to CDs or something)

I have a VERY limited budget for this, which is why I still have only 256MB of RAM, and don't have a DVD burner or larger HDD - I probably couldn't afford to get any more software unless I REALLY needed it, especially in the next few years of college.

If and when I DO have the money, I'll be replacing this laptop with a desktop, preferably an Amiga system. (anything to avoid becoming entwined in another microsoft horror story)