Shut off computers in a computer lab - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Shut off computers in a computer lab

Alright, so here's the problem:
I run a computer lab of around 30 computers
Every morning and every day before I go home I have to shut down each and every one manually.

They're all on the same network and I am the admin, so I can do whatever I want to these computers.
Preferably, I don't want to install software, but if I have to I will.

What I want to do is write some kind of script or use some kind of small, hidden program (so the kids can't mess with it) that will shut down the computers at a given time (say 10 at night) and start them back up in the morning (7:30am)

(Windows cronjob equivalent? I know there's something like that on Windows 7, but I've never done it in Windows XP)

Thanks for any help

EDIT: Also, no one will be logged in to these computers at the time they shut off.

Battle.net: iFargle #1561 || Steam/Origin: iFargle
Old 03-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: Shut off computers in a computer lab

I do remember something about a NetSend command that can force a shut down. I did this in my A+ lab where our goal was to shut down everyone else in class before they shut me down. I created a batch file that shut them down one after another.

If I could just find my notes on this....

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 03-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
It's all just 1s and 0s

Send a message via MSN to office politics

create a script. batch file will suffice. run shutdown -s -t 0. schedule it using task scheduler via control panel. i'll assume the kids dont have admin rights so they can't muck with the tasks. you may need to setup the task using the at command in command prompt.

for the wake up, you can enable wake on lan in the bios. I would use spiceworks to scan the pcs in the morning, and set it to send the wol magic packet based on a schedule.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

This is why I love TF. Thanks guys Everything's working like a charm. Except instead of using the Spiceworks program, the computer BIOSes have the option for automatic turn on, so I set that for M-F at 7:30am. I scheduled the Windows shutdown to not shutdown immediately if the computer is being used.. I set it to recheck if the computer has been idle for 20 minutes every five minutes for an hour.
Battle.net: iFargle #1561 || Steam/Origin: iFargle
Closed Thread