Shut Down takes looong time

Status
Not open for further replies.

salomon144

Solid State Member
hey, my comptuer takes about 5 mins to shut down. it used to shut down right when i clicked shutdown. but now it takes about 5 mins. and i recently reformatted my hd and still nothing. what eles can i do.

thanks

Sounds like you have a bunch of programs, that do something like 'crash' when you go to shutdown. Do you properly close them? I know sometimes i've seen stuff like AIM, when I go to close down my computer and I haven't exited AIM, it comes up with the window "Not Responding". Then I have to click end now.

salomon144 said:
what is sfc /scannow?

/scannow : Scans all protected system files immediately.

/scanonce : Scans all protected system files once.

/scanboot : Scans all protected system files every time the computer is restarted.

/revert : Returns the scan to its default operation.

/purgecache : Purges the Windows File Protection file cache and scans all protected system files immediately.

/cachesize=x : Sets the size, in MB, of the Windows File Protection file cache.

/? : Displays help at the command prompt.

yea i have to close all the programs myself or eles it wont shut down at all. and after i shut everything down tehn i go to shutdown and wait 5 mins..

Check for drivers. I was talking to several MS techs a few days ago on this issue. The problem in startup and shutdown is drivers. The longer it takes to terminate/initiate a driver the longer it takes to shutdown/startup. The drivers you have might be new, but they could also be promlematic. Uninstall the drivers, then install the latest known good ones from the site. not the latest dirvers they have, as they have not been tested enough to find all the problems. This should help you with your time problems.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom