Should Switch to VISTA or not ?? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 09:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Re: Should Switch to VISTA or not ??

Oops, sorry, must be an american term

2,600...which is around $5,350 in your money.

1KW Dell PSU | Dell 2001FP 1600x1200
============================================
Highest 3DMark06: 17,281
Old 12-29-2007, 09:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Retired.

Send a message via AIM to peterhuang913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dell Boi View Post
Oops, sorry, must be an american term

2,600...which is around $5,350 in your money.
wow, thats alot. I bet you could have made a better rig by buying the parts.

My computer uses 1.5A-load, .8A-idle, .65A-standby, .05A-turned off on 125V.
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcent View Post
I need to stop using the internet.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterhuang913 View Post
wow, thats alot. I bet you could have made a better rig by buying the parts.
lol thread jacked.. but he could have gotten something like what Chris Chadwick is getting in the future
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 12-29-2007, 09:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Most likely. But i've never built my own rig before...and felt I could make an *** of it and blow 2K...so decided to buy pre-built.

Its not all bad though, a factory overclocked QX6850 thats warrented for 3 years, even while O/C'd
1KW Dell PSU | Dell 2001FP 1600x1200
============================================
Highest 3DMark06: 17,281
Old 12-29-2007, 10:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

XP is good. Vista isnt that bad either. SP1 isnt gonna be a big thing like everyone thinks. Yes it will give you some, i repeat this SOME, performance boost but it will not make Vista as fast as XP. Nor will any SP ever do that. Why? Cause Vista is coded differently using a fully bloated kernel.

Honestly you should save the $$ and wait for Server 2008 to be released. It runs as fast if not faster than XP. It has the updated kernel and protection that Vista does and it also can get the Aero and other goodies that Vista has.

Personally i triple boot. XP/Vista/Ubuntu. I use whatever one i am in the mood for. Right now it is ubuntu cause i dont feel like gaming and it is secure for me to go anywhere on the net. I will go to Vista tomorrow since i have somethings to test out. I will probably be in XP for the new year.

It is personal preference. If you dont like XP or Vista then go with Linux. If you cant find a WiFi driver then i would say stick with XP as you have the best shot at everything on that for now.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 12-30-2007, 11:51 AM   #16 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli213 View Post
XP is good. Vista isnt that bad either. SP1 isnt gonna be a big thing like everyone thinks. Yes it will give you some, i repeat this SOME, performance boost but it will not make Vista as fast as XP. Nor will any SP ever do that. Why? Cause Vista is coded differently using a fully bloated kernel.

Honestly you should save the $$ and wait for Server 2008 to be released. It runs as fast if not faster than XP. It has the updated kernel and protection that Vista does and it also can get the Aero and other goodies that Vista has.

Personally i triple boot. XP/Vista/Ubuntu. I use whatever one i am in the mood for. Right now it is ubuntu cause i dont feel like gaming and it is secure for me to go anywhere on the net. I will go to Vista tomorrow since i have somethings to test out. I will probably be in XP for the new year.

It is personal preference. If you dont like XP or Vista then go with Linux. If you cant find a WiFi driver then i would say stick with XP as you have the best shot at everything on that for now.
Thanks Makaveli for detailed tech info.. you know I'm not fan of those kind of 3d Graphical interface... I mean I just prefer Windows classic theme. but where with VIsta you can't modify ur desktop as much as linux does.. btw
I use linux(PClinuxOS) on P3 because no device installation problem. I have one more question.. How far I could go with this processor.. It crashes when It reaches around 2.9..
Old 12-30-2007, 01:30 PM   #17 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Well with Server 2008 if you like the Classic theme you will love this install upon then. Cause upon install it is the classic theme with the Vista menus. That is all.

As far as the OC goes. With a stock cooler you are most likely at your limit. If you got liquid cooling or something else you could probably get it to about 3GHz. Maybe a bit higher. But after that it would get to unstable.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:30 PM   #18 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech-man View Post
Thanks Makaveli for detailed tech info.. you know I'm not fan of those kind of 3d Graphical interface... I mean I just prefer Windows classic theme. but where with VIsta you can't modify ur desktop as much as linux does.. btw
That's good because your video card won't do Aero in Vista. You have to have at lease the nvidia 6000 series for that. It can handle Compiz/Fusion in Linux, though.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:47 PM   #19 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Not really. There are some FX 5000 series and soime GO series that are not in the 6000 series that can do Aero. But for the most part anything beyond the 6000 series is what you would want. The cards below the 6000 series are few and far between.

Old 12-30-2007, 05:17 PM   #20 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to MetalOwns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dell Boi View Post
Most likely. But i've never built my own rig before...and felt I could make an *** of it and blow 2K...so decided to buy pre-built.

Its not all bad though, a factory overclocked QX6850 thats warrented for 3 years, even while O/C'd
Dude $5350?? Jesus that's a ton. Are you made of money or something? Building your own computer is not hard at all. The stuff generally goes in one place, and only in a certain direction. I thought building a computer would be kind of hard, but I was really surprised at how easy it was.

$5350...wow...and it's a dell....

EDIT: I just calculated it all, and you could have built that EXACT system with higher quality parts for well under $3500.

Intel Core2Duo E6600 (2.40) @ OC'ing
2 gigs G.Skill DDR2 800 RAM @ OC'ing
2x 320 Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (RAID 0)
EVGA Ge-Force 7900 GS KO @ 710/985 @ 1.48v/2.20v
LITE-ON 20x DVD+/-R Burner/12x DVD-RAM w/ LightScribe
LITE-ON 48x CD Burner/16x DVD-ROM
Hanns∑G 19" Widescreen LCD
Windows Vista Ultimate Edition
Closed Thread