Should Switch to VISTA or not ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously? :( I guess thats the price you pay for buying OEM.

Thanks for the info though, I might start getting into building my own for the uture, because I can see the appeal in building your own rig from the ground up. :)

It is nice to build your own. Just remember doing so means you are also you own tech support. So you better make sure you are very familiar with HDD partition setup, formatting, install of OS's and everything else that could possibly go wrong. Like hardware hooked up wrong to the error code that the BIOS beeps.

Building isnt that hard but it is at the same time. Many people here are so familiar with it that they probably forgot the first machine they built and the troubles they had to overcome. Fear is always the first thing. But if youhave good knowledge of PC's you can build one easily.

Well with Server 2008 if you like the Classic theme you will love this install upon then. Cause upon install it is the classic theme with the Vista menus. That is all. ;)

As far as the OC goes. With a stock cooler you are most likely at your limit. If you got liquid cooling or something else you could probably get it to about 3GHz. Maybe a bit higher. But after that it would get to unstable.

Yea. but who'd buy liquid cooling for socket 478.. !! 775'd be good..

That's good because your video card won't do Aero in Vista. You have to have at lease the nvidia 6000 series for that. It can handle Compiz/Fusion in Linux, though.

Not really. There are some FX 5000 series and soime GO series that are not in the 6000 series that can do Aero. But for the most part anything beyond the 6000 series is what you would want. The cards below the 6000 series are few and far between.

I actually have tried ubuntu live cd, Compiz worked.. ;)

Seriously? :( I guess thats the price you pay for buying OEM.

Thanks for the info though, I might start getting into building my own for the uture, because I can see the appeal in building your own rig from the ground up. :)

Most amazing thing is you'll have fun..research, compatibility, gathering parts and finally assembly.

I actually have tried ubuntu live cd, Compiz worked.. ;)

I would hope so. Compiz Fusion is a great tool and it has worked on several setups that i have used it on.:p

But overall you are getting the most out of your old CPU. there isnt much more you can do. Maybe a new fan not liquid cooling? That might help since it is probably getting to hot when you take it to 2.9 or higher.

I thought we were supposed to be everyone's instant, free, and unappreciated tech support.

That's what some people I know think I am, anyway.

Yes that is true. We are everyone free tech support to those that know us and know we build PC for fun. Which is a down side. I hate those calls in teh middle of the night:

"My PC just crashed. What did you do?"

ME:

"Umm i was sleeping i did nothing what did you do?":laughing:

I like it. But then again I've liked it since beta 2. It does seem to test your patience a lot though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom