Should I use Vista-64 or 32-bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

u4ic_fln

Baseband Member
Im building a new computer for my girlfriend, and was wondering if it would be beneficial to use Vista 64-bit or not. Here are the basic pieces of the build.

MB: ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600
Memory: OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit
Video Card: EVGA 512-P3-N873-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0

What do you think?

Very much so. Although the 4 gig ceiling is one of the most talked about pluses, there are other performance enhancing things that come with 64 bit (faster coding, more effcient use of code, 64 bits of data can pass in the system at one time double speed if all else is even). So unless there is a reason for you to have to stick with 32 bit (like legacy games and applications that won't work with 64 bit) always go with 64 bit.

Hence why I linked him to the 32 vs 64bit thread :p. The 4GB of RAM issue is just the most obvious thing I felt to mention.

Hence why I linked him to the 32 vs 64bit thread :p. The 4GB of RAM issue is just the most obvious thing I felt to mention.
Oh i know. You've given great advice and i know that you realize that isn't the only difference. I just don't want people (but they still do) to get the idea that the only positive association with 64 bit is more ram. While it is a positive I wouldn't consider it the best thing about 64 bit.

Sorry didn't mean to sound as if i was correcting you or trying to understate what you said - you were correct and I was just adding on that there are more benefits.

So if I install the 32-bit version of Vista, can I upgrade to the 64-bit version? Or do I have to do a full re-install/re-format of my Hard Drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom