Should I turn off swap file in Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

dario03

Fully Optimized
I have 6gb of ram and am I wondering if I would benefit from turning my swap file off???

Nothing. Keep it.

Think of it this way. You want to mitigate using that hard drive space for storage of your program files correct? Well Vista is only going to use that storage if you run out of RAM. But if you turn it off Vista will have to wait for more RAM to free up. So... if you have plenty of RAM the swap file will rarely be used, BUT if it is used, it is much faster than the alternative you are wanting - which is the processor waiting on more RAM to free up.

MaKe sense? So while i understand you don't want to use that slow hard drive space for extra storage during processing, your only other option would be to turn off page swaping. If you did that, your processor is going to act SLOWER than if you had the processor putting files within your hard drive.

And jesus, seriously do you even use 6 gig of ram? Monitory your usage of it before doing something drastic like turning off your swap file.

I have 6gb because I was running VMware OS emulator but I'm not really doing that anymore so I don't think I would run out of ram. Reason I wonder about the swap file was because I heard things load faster when it isn't used.

Using the swap file is faster then having the cpu wait for RAM to become available. Yes it is true when program files are put into the paging file they do run a bit slower but that is a blanket statement.

Like saying my Vista computer is slow. See, blanket statement. What someone didn't tell you is that they only have 512 mb RAM installed - or in your case yes when the paging file is used programs will run slower, but they will run even slower if they run out of RAM and have no where to load.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom