Should i switch to Windows Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aricav05

Baseband Member
I'm thinking about installing Vista Business on my laptop which has Windows XP home edition installed. Is it a good idea? or would it be better just to install Windows XP Professional instead.

My laptop configuration is as follows...
1.83GHz Intel core duo
1.5GB DDR2 SDRAM
80GB SATA HDD
Intel GMA 950

My experience with Vista is awful . Its really an awful OS regarding consuming the laptop/PC resources . I am sure that ur notice a significant lag in your laptop performance by switching from XP to Vista

my buddy runs vista on his laptop no problem, basically the same setup except he has a AMD turon 64 and i believe nvidia graphics
as long as your Intel gfx is at least 128MB

however, if you are having no problems with XP home, i would suggest using that until the official release of SP1 for vista which is what a lot of skeptical people are waiting for. i beleive it's first quarter of next year, with beta release already.

as well, vista home premium is what a home users really needs. business is a waste of money for home use imo.

my buddy runs vista on his laptop no problem, basically the same setup except he has a AMD turon 64 and i believe nvidia graphics
as long as your Intel gfx is at least 128MB

however, if you are having no problems with XP home, i would suggest using that until the official release of SP1 for vista which is what a lot of skeptical people are waiting for. i beleive it's first quarter of next year, with beta release already.

as well, vista home premium is what a home users really needs. business is a waste of money for home use imo.
This is absolutely correct.

My laptop runs Vista no problem. It has a AMD adn only 1GB of RAM and Vista runs jsut fine on it. SP1 for Vista is slated for 1Q 2008 but honestly it isnt required.

If this is your personal laptop i would go with Home Premium as well. Business is good but you lose teh Media Center part.

Is your awful experience with Vista limited to the lag it generates? I'm not too keen on all the flashy gimmicks of the new vista so i probably wont require as much memory to run those apps.

aside from the lag and resource hogging are there any other problems with vista business?

The reason I want to change my OS is mainly because i don't like windows XP home much. And since i have the option of installing XP professional or Vista Business free of charge, i was thinking about whether i should switch to Vista business or XP pro.

I worked in a computer sales and repair shop for a while, and we sent maybe 3 new computers back to the manufacturers so they could be upgraded to run vista. they were shipped with it, it should have run on them!! anyways, I'm not impressed at all with vista. the core architecture of the "new" vista was designed in the early 90's. it just got alot of power hungry apps and a flashy GUI. imo, vista is a slide back in time for a beleagured R&D group. they found an easy way to cheat, and nobody realizes that it's crap from the 90's

If you're not going to run Aero (the eye-candy) or be playing games, go with Vista. You'll get more longevity out of it.

Its funny because I ran Vista with under the minumum requirements and built in Graphics card on a laptop. Everything was against me but it was great, yea sure startup time was a little bit slow and sure it froze maybe once every 2 weeks but it was great. If your in a business enviorment then heck no dont get it as it has to many bugs (wait for SP1) but if you are a home user sure I say go ahead, just make sure to have the minumum requirement as I had my laptop overclocked and I sped everything to the brink of crashing :D

Vista can run games jsut fine....

Yeah...there's a 150pt difference between my XP and Vista 3dmark06 score. The SM2/SM3/HDR scores are the same but the CPU score is slightly lower.

SP1 is supposed to have some optimizations that should improve things even more.

Also about how Vista will run on your laptop....I got my stepfather a laptop with a 1.6ghz C2D, 1gb memory, and intel integrated graphics and Vista Premium runs great on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom