Should I just stick with my older OS or upgrade to windows XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow..great lawyer..wait...hows that gonna happen...and there is no point to using XP if your laptop will be slow on it, i've seen it run and it is slow but if you needed it for like a day or 2 it would be fine, but I would go with Windows 2000, Just keep in mind that if you use the NTFS system there is no going back, you will not be able to use windows 98 if you decide for some reason to go back

Well if I cam e on strong then sorry but I don't like what as said regarding longhorn and how people cannot even see that 2k is useless now that it is discontinued. EricB your computer is good then I don't know why it is slow with longhorn I am not showing off my computer in my sig as you mentioned becuase as you can see my computer is not that great and is very old. But if my computer with the specs shown below can run a Longhorn revision 4074 smoothly I would like to know why yours can't.

wow...lmao this is funny, but seriously, I run windows 2000 Pro, with SP4, I don't keep it updated or anything, I just run zonealarm, AVG, and Ad-Aware and Firefox and just keep a ghost image of that and when something happens just pop the disc in, but No, constant upgrades and constant updated software is not required, 2000 is still a good non=obsolete OS.
Thats all good and all so you have Win2K all updated lets say and all your products updated then it's discontinued. Suddenly you are not getting updates from microsoft making your OS vunerable, then you notice your products such as AVG are not getting new virus definitions or new version updates. Suddenly the same happens with all your other software and everything is outdatted and spyware/viruses flood the computer.

Tyler1989 said:
Well if I cam e on strong then sorry but I don't like what as said regarding longhorn and how people cannot even see that 2k is useless now that it is discontinued. EricB your computer is good then I don't know why it is slow with longhorn I am not showing off my computer in my sig as you mentioned becuase as you can see my computer is not that great and is very old. But if my computer with the specs shown below can run a Longhorn revision 4074 smoothly I would like to know why yours can't.

I never said it was slow. it wasn't. but I couldn't install a lot of my favorite programs on it, I couldn't move my document folder to my second hard drive like I can in XP and on some things it told me I don't have the priviledge to do it and I was the adminstrater. I also had networking issues with it. neither of the longhorn versions support it (networking) but if I install it over a copy of xp, I could get it to work a little. if I did a fresh install with longhorn, you could forget it

because they have taken the links to longhorn off the internet, I can't show you the links to explain in better detail on why you were suppose to leave it on for an hour or two at the first logon. it had to do with something like letting the latency (I know that is not the word) setttle in.

also, if you use the batch file in one of my earlier posts you will notice a dramatic difference with it

Thats all good and all so you have Win2K all updated lets say and all your products updated then it's discontinued. Suddenly you are not getting updates from microsoft making your OS vunerable, then you notice your products such as AVG are not getting new virus definitions or new version updates. Suddenly the same happens with all your other software and everything is outdatted and spyware/viruses flood the computer.

But you can take actions to prevent this. I know several people running on 2000, and they have no problems regarding what you have listed.

Do the Virus definitions have anything to do with the OS?

How many times do I have to say it

Windows 2000 is going to be Discontinued

That means no updates and no new program version that support the new .net framework. That means no updates of any kind what so ever. If updates are not important then why aren't we all using Windows 3.1? Eric you have to be easy on longhorn it is a alpha after all. Networking problems may occur but I thought Longhorn currently accepts the same drivers as XP. I suspect networking issues are due to the new bluetooth features they added. It's for testing uses not personal use yet I think Beta1 this July is something we can look forward to as more compatable.

I don't think so; the anti-virus companies will not discontinue updates for their product because as long as their product runs on Windows, they will have to update it to maintain their product, so why not make the update available to all supported versions of Windows (unless they're getting paid by Microsoft to promote a certain OS). And besides, based on what I've observed, most viruses target and affect more than just one OS. Usually it's either Me/98/95 family or XP/2K/NT family or all Windows platforms, but only rarely will a virus affect only select OS's in different families.

Originally posted by Tyler1989

Just because Microsoft discontinues 2K doesn't mean that all other companies will follow; most AV programs still even support 98 and NT, and they've been discontinued for some time now.

I think you just have something against Win2000 and you're overemphasizing the importance of Microsoft's discontinuation of 2000. It's really a great OS.

Originally posted by Tyler1989
If updates are not important then why aren't we all using Windows 3.1

You're just making this an extreme example. The reason most of us aren't using 3.1 is that there isn't enough basic features (I've never used it, but from what I know it's not that "up-to-date"). So yes, updating is important, but only when you're getting substantial improvements. Taking the leap from 3.1 to NT (at the time) would be a substantial improvement. Taking the leap from NT to 2K would be a substantial improvement. 2K to XP would NOT. (See the pattern? 3.1 -> 4.0 -> 5.0, and 5.1 seems kinda out of place) If XP could add something that to the user would be considered a substantial improvement, then the user would switch to XP. But I don't see any improvements on XP in the near future that would make it worth the upgrade. And when Microsoft is able to make such an improvement, a new OS will probably come out (Longhorn: DotNET 2.0 would be considered an example of this) and the old OS, according to you, would become "obsolete" and "useless," and this is NOT true.

Tyler1989 said:

do you not understand that just because MS will stop supporting Windows 2000 does not mean that AVG will stop supporting their software on it, Zonealarm will not stop supporting it, and btw, most of the software designed to run on XP will run just perfectly fine on windows 2000 and sometimes even 98 and NT which are 7 or 8 years old, 3.1 is very obsolete, not a great OS, plus it relies on DOS to run, so basically, you're running a Dual boot operating system, not nesesary. Most of the people i know who used 3.11 never used dos. And on top of that none of the software we use today runs at all on 3.1.

You are foolish How many times do I have to say this for you people to listen

Longhorn uses .net framework2.0 as well as XP and 2003

Win2K uses .net framework 1.1

Win2K is being discontinued

Win2K will not be compatible with .net framework2.0

Software in future uses .net framework2.0

New software Versions uses .net framework2.0

You cannot upgrade program versions if you use .net framework1.1 that means no new definitions if you can't use the latest revision

Microsoft is not giving you OS security updates if it's discontinued

With these combined it makes as crappy OS with outdated unusable software and is an OS that is not patched and is easy to exploit

I know you have difficulties because I told you this since the begining of this thread Read this post again

Read this post one more time please

I hope you understand now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom