Should I just stick with my older OS or upgrade to windows XP? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 12:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyler1989
I do not pirate DVDs if that is what you are suggesting.
I was just saying that doing that doesn't use a lot of resoures like video editing does

Old 06-20-2005, 04:34 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Win2kpatcher

Quote:
I don't know what you all are smoking I am running a 2.40ghz desktop on XP and it loads fine you all should check for spyware and otehr various killers. Your laptop surpasses my desktop and my desktop was designed for XP. Go for it. And also you only need 128 RAM for XP but I recommend at least a minimum of 256 RAM as does Microsoft.
How are you coming to the conclusion that his machine is faster than yours? 300MHZ vs 2400MHZ is a slight diff ;-) so you really cant compare there.

I would be another for up the RAM and move to XP. Windows 98 just sucks...well unless you like the BSOD screen We have many older machines at work running 300MHZ Pentium II with 256MB RAM and they run fine. This is with XP Pro on a Domain. There is just nothing like the advanced features of XP especially with the driver support. I had to get my external hard drive that usually detects instantly on an XP machine and builds a new drive for the device under My Computer, on a Win 98 machine..and I just said screw this crap...After getting all the drivers installed for 98 and getting the device manager happy the drive still never showed up under My Computer..pos..lol.

Old 06-20-2005, 04:43 AM   #13 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

I'm running XP Pro with 64mb pc133. It runs slow, takes forever and a day to install programs, but once all that is finished, it runs soso. Here at work, we have 128mb laptops with XP Pro, hey run slow on bootup but after that, they run ok. Our desktops however, have anywhere from 256 to 512 and ofcourse, they run fine.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:49 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master Techie

Go for it I had a comp older that this run xp 128megs of ram and a 333mhz celeron.It ran and boot up did not take 4 ever it took about a min or a little more from button to desktop.I cant time it as I got bored and that poor celeron did not have a chance vs. a hammer.It looked sooo cool when I looked at the cracked core a part had a mirror finish,still have pin marks on my desk.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:51 AM   #15 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I say give it a shot, after its installed do all the performance tweaks and it will be alright
Old 06-20-2005, 05:05 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master Techie

Windows 2000 is the answer for you. It really is the only decent OS that Microsoft made.Very effiecent when it comes to resources. I would be using 2000 right now, but I am stuck with XP since Premiere Pro 1.5 only works with XP........
EVGA GTX 480
CORSAIR 850-HX
Old 06-20-2005, 11:57 AM   #17 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to Tankhead02 Send a message via Yahoo to Tankhead02

Quote:
Originally posted by macdude425
My friend has a laptop that runs at 400mhz and it takes six minutes from boot to seeing the desktop.

It's not worth it. Stay with 98.
Yeah, exactly, stay with Windows 98. Some of my clients say that they want to do that. I was like noooooo. But then they decided to go behind me, and now they are paying me to fix it. They put it on there slow Presario 1247. So yeah.....Keep it.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:32 PM   #18 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to IBMan

Quote:
I don't know what you all are smoking I am running a 2.40ghz desktop on XP and it loads fine you all should check for spyware and otehr various killers. Your laptop surpasses my desktop and my desktop was designed for XP. Go for it. And also you only need 128 RAM for XP but I recommend at least a minimum of 256 RAM as does Microsoft.
um...wat are you smoking? its a 300 MHz not 3.00 GHz, anyway...I run XP home on a pentium II 400 MHz with 192 MB ram, and i dunno...runs fine for me.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master Techie

Has anybody even considered 2k?? You get the same reliablity and performance as XP, with less resources....
EVGA GTX 480
CORSAIR 850-HX
Old 06-20-2005, 04:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by uzi9mm
Has anybody even considered 2k?? You get the same reliablity and performance as XP, with less resources....
Personally I like all of the goofy themes and pictures of XP. 2000 is too plain looking. I will buy the extra ram. but you are right, though.

Closed Thread