Should I dual boot with Ubuntu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grkbar

In Runtime
I use my computer for alot of gaming. I currently am looking to upgrade my primary HD to a WD Raptor X 10,000rpm 150gb drive(SATA). Currently, however I am running 2 74gb Maxtors at 5400 rpm (IDE). I do not really use my second HD at all. I was wondering if I should install Ubuntu on it as I heard it is very good. I am not sure however if I should also while I'm at it create a partition on that HD for my current OS(WinXP)? Any suggestions on how to utilize the HD hardware I have to optimize my usage?

I am currently Tri Booting with XP, Vista Ultiamte and Ubuntu 7.10. Ubuntu is good. I am surprised myself by it. But it takes a lot of work and time to get used to it compared to Windows. If you wish to give it a shot by all means.

Wither that or you can use that 2nd drive as storage for downloads, documents, pretty much everything that you ever want to save in case of a reformat.

I don't see why not, to dual boot with Ubuntu. It's good that you're willing to explore the world of open source. I dual boot Ubuntu along with XP. I took a 40GB hard drive, and split it 20/20. I also made a 1GB partition for the swap partition.

...Makaveli, is that you in your sig and avatar?

Why ubuntu??? why not try another distro there are literally thousands and some are easier to grasp then others link in my sig :) my fave at the moment is linux mint

Do it. Just keep in mind that you probably won't be able to play your games or run a lot of Windows software in Ubuntu. It's like if you buy a Mac, you have to use Mac software; if you use Ubuntu, you have to use Linux software and get used to a new system. But Ubuntu happens to be a pretty easy distro to use and learn. If you can get past that, you won't be disappointed. It's pretty amazing. And there are quite a few good open source games and apps that are made for Linux.

Also, you might be wise to study into whether your hardware works well with Ubuntu. Especially video cards, sound cards, and wireless.

The Ubuntu installation will help you to partition your hard drives and keep a place for your Windows install.

...Makaveli, is that you in your sig and avatar?

The fine print says it's his wife.

Do it. Just keep in mind that you probably won't be able to play your games or run a lot of Windows software in Ubuntu. It's like if you buy a Mac, you have to use Mac software; if you use Ubuntu, you have to use Linux software and get used to a new system. But Ubuntu happens to be a pretty easy distro to use and learn. If you can get past that, you won't be disappointed. It's pretty amazing. And there are quite a few good open source games and apps that are made for Linux.

Also, you might be wise to study into whether your hardware works well with Ubuntu. Especially video cards, sound cards, and wireless.

The Ubuntu installation will help you to partition your hard drives and keep a place for your Windows install.

you do know about "wine" right???? you can use most windows software and games on linux now. Some games are also designed and retailed for linux aswell but you have to pay for the big titles obviously

Well the only reason i suggested Ubuntu at first is because as a person who is jsut learning Linux himself Ubuntu offers the greatest transition from Windows to Linux. While Mint, PCLinuxOS among all sorts of others are probably far better with certain things, Ubuntu will be the easiest to learn from first.

I have Ubuntu installed myself and am trying to learn how to do all things. I would like to see Wine and Beryl working as i have heard some great things about them. But for now i have to learn how to operate and install thigns on Linux. Which is why Ubuntu is great for this.

Plus yes that is my WIFE not me. :p

I am also triple booting, with xp, vista and ubuntu 7.10. The internet will become your best friend, so plan on reading a ton. Once you get hardware figured out, and any little kinks that can **** you off, linux becomes a lot of fun. But it's all up to you, and how much time you have to learn how to do everything in an operating system again.

Thanks for the input guys, I think I am going to dual boot Unbuntu and Winxp. The only question I have is, how do I create a partition for just my OS for each of these?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom