Should I defrag my SSD or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
I googled that same question and discovered so many conflicting reports that my head and brain is still spinning in circles...

I am asking this simple question here with the intention and hope of gaining a clear and concise answer.

I recently purchased an OCZ Agility 2 OCZSSD2-2AGTE60G and I really would like to set this SSD up correctly.

I have read the suggested tweaks from the guide given me here. Thank you.

I do not want to open a can of worms here. But why do I read so many conflicting reports on this issue of defragging an SSD. Some are totally against it, some are totally for it and it appears as if each side has logical conclusions.

Can someone here help me sort this out before I assemble my new build system with my very first SSD?

Thanks,

Soar

You really want to set it up correctly, read our tweak guide for SSD's.

SSD Tweak Guide

With Win7 there is no need to defrag. It does it automatically when the files get to fragmented. The reason why it shouldnt be done on a SSD is simple. They have a limited lifetime. Do you really want to cut short the lifetime of your SSD by having read/write cycles used for something like Defragging when it isnt necessary cause the OS does that itself?

Mak is 100% correct. Your SSD should not be Defragmented, in fact you should disable the service all together.

You really want to set it up correctly, read our tweak guide for SSD's.

SSD Tweak Guide

With Win7 there is no need to defrag. It does it automatically when the files get to fragmented. The reason why it shouldnt be done on a SSD is simple. They have a limited lifetime. Do you really want to cut short the lifetime of your SSD by having read/write cycles used for something like Defragging when it isnt necessary cause the OS does that itself?

Thanks Mak for the clarity. Ok, I have read the tweak guide a couple of times. I will put it into practice. I hope to put my new system together over the Veterans day holiday.

Mak is 100% correct. Your SSD should not be Defragmented, in fact you should disable the service all together.

Slay, Ok, will do! Thanks again!

Soar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom