shorted out/static shock

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohGrFreak

ID.10T
So, my problem did not go away, I still have static shock issues. The dog rubbed against the comp and poof, it shutdown and startred an endless reboot process.

So, I tried to reinstall XP or at least repair it, like I did last time, but this time I can't even get that far.

I get the blue screen that reads:

a problem has occured and windows has shutdown to prevent damage to your computer...

page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

(insert basic mumbo jumbo here)

STOP: 0x00000050 (0xf7000000, 0x000000000, 0xf700000000, 0x000000000)

So, I cannot load windows from the HDD let alone when I try to boot from disc.

Does this error message hold any clue as to what is wrong?

Help me fix this comp for good, please, I am seriously desperate.

EDIT: if this helps any, I can still get into BIOS, but I can't even get into safe mode.

By looking at the error msg. It Sounds like your ram got fried. Your mobo still must be good if you can get into your BIOS. Get memtest86 and test your memory to see if it busted.

i have downloaded memtest, but do i need to mount it on a floppy or can i use a cd? i'll have to go buy a floppy if needed.

:( 1 gig of OCZ memory gone, i'm crossing my fingers i can save one 512 stick.

also, you may wanna check the grounding, make sure the mbd isn't grounding to the case. that might explain a few things.

yes, but see if the mbd is grounded to the case, then the static shock will actually harm the mbd via a shock to the case. usually it happens with a exposed screw mount not plast-i-clipped. So, what you get is a ground fault. Most common things seen are endless shutdown/reboots, the system shocks YOU (usually faulty wiring is also involved with that one, though), and outside interference. I would agree, however, that it sounds like the mem died. Especially after the above occured and he gets a page fault in non paged area. Those areas are usually for upper system functions and are addresses set aside ONLY for os functions.

killians45 said:
yes, but see if the mbd is grounded to the case, then the static shock will actually harm the mbd via a shock to the case. usually it happens with a exposed screw mount not plast-i-clipped. So, what you get is a ground fault. Most common things seen are endless shutdown/reboots, the system shocks YOU (usually faulty wiring is also involved with that one, though), and outside interference.

Wow I did not know that........ I didnt think a static shock to the exterior mattered.

I can if the mbd isn't grounding through the power cord. Happens every once in awhile. The most common is endless reboots (of course, problem with that is finding if its grounding, power supply, bios related, peripherial, driver, os/dll, real mode, etc.)

This shock/rebooting has happened before, but I always brought it back to life, could the past shocks messed with the memory and finally the mem just died with this last shock?

And yes, the dog is rubbing on the outside of the case when this happens. So, not only could the mem be damaged, but the mobo as well if not properly grounded? We will find out tomorrow, I just got back from buying some floppies and reading up on memtest and am not in the mood to mess with it tonight.

your house might be illegally wired. buy a electrical circuit tester ($3.00 at a hardware). plug it in. the 2 yellow lights should come on.

for some reason in the sixties electricians just wired house without grounds (house before this were 2 wire houses, but the housing for the electrical socket was grounded. they just skip this step altogether in the 60's). nobody was ever held accountable for it either

that static should have shorted to ground if your dog touch the exterior of a computer case. the only way he could hurt anything was if your computer wasn't grounded properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom