shifting harddisk from one cpu to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramesh

Baseband Member
hi all,

while shifting hard disk from one system to another i usually use to reinstall the operating system and reload the drivers for display and audio.

is there any other way to do the same without reinstalling the os?
ie by just removing the drivers alone.

iam using win98.

You can just plug it into the new system and fire it up.
Then just let windows pickup all the new hardware and install drivers as nessecary.
But keep in mind its pretty bad, especially for the registry.
Youd probrably want to do extra's like, reg-clean, temp clean, defrag etc etc etc and its recommended to do just a format/install

it is rare that you can successfully move win2k/XP between two different systems. The hardware layer is usually too different. So having installed XP on the hard drive in a different computer, and then moving it to the other system, generally is not going to work.

The only easy way to move an install, on a hard drive, between systems, is if they at least have the same motherboard. You probably would need to reactivate it if it does work.

You could use Ghost to clone the drive you are running now, and get it on the other drive if it is the o/s you need to use.

about 2 months i did change a hdd into another computer and went to bios and reset cmos and it did work but it migth not in your case
good luck
what's the new hdd o/s?

its done
i just removed the audio and video drivers and plugged it into the new one and windows automatically detected the drivers itself.

thanks for all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom