Shadow copying HDD + licensed software

jjr87

Beta member
Hi,

Currently working on a client's Dell running XP Home Edition which has some licensed software installed on it. His issue is that his hard drive is failing due to frequent overheating and it needs to be replaced.

Seeing as how the PC's hardware is about 7 years old, I'd normally steer him towards a full PC upgrade, but, in an attempt to save him some money, I was considering shadow volume copying or re-imaging a new hard drive for the time being.

Here is where I need help:
-He has several licensed software installed on this PC; will a method like re-imaging replicate the licensed software on the replacement hard drive? Or will the software need to be re-activated?

All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Only if the software requires a constant internet connection, because it checks in with a verification server or something.

+1 to carnageX

you should be OK, but I would also make sure that your client has the license docs before you go and re-image/re-clone the drive.

One other thought... I use Macrium Reflect and I can install the Old Drive and the New Target into another computer that has it's own Boot Drive. So, I've got a C:, D: (the failing Boot Drive from the Other Computer) and E: (the new blank drive).

Then, I clone D: to E. I have less issues about shadowing because my Old Drive isn't the current Boot Drive. (And yes, I often steal the Optical Drive's SATA connections, going into BIOS SETUP to make sure all the HDDs are showing up, then going back and re-connecting Optical Drive... nice to browse around the ol' BIOS neighborhood...)

Back
Top Bottom