Setup password protected folder, where is premission gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smash123

Solid State Member
Hi everyone, I want to setup password protected folder in XP Pro. But I don't see anywhere I can set this up for premission now. I think it should have a button call 'premission' behind 'Learn more about sharing and security' as I see long time ago but it is now disappear. Does any body know how can I enable this 'Premission' function? thanks

I see the 'make this folder private' function is gray out. How can I enable this function?

I have 6 computers networked in my company. I want to setup the password protected dir so only some people have the pw can access the share folder in my computer. Is the 'make this folder private' way is suit for my need? Thank you

Simply take the everyone group out of the ACL for that folder. Make sure you don't have that folder under a parent with propagated permissions.

HI,

Thank you everyone.

Csamuels: I can see the premission button showing up now.
bradybnmci: I have done that.
Tyler1989: That is what I need. But no need to encrypt by data as for now.

Now, I'm facing another problem. I have remove 'everyone' in the premission and add one of the Windows user name in there. But when I use other computer to access the folder. It said No access at all. I thought it is suppose to pop up a windows asking me the user name and the pw. How come the pw windows is not pop out? thanks

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic4153.html

Put passwords in all the accounts in the XP server. Any computers wanting to connect to this computer will be shown a login screen. This way, only people who knows an account/password on the XP machine can access any resource provided. Connection maintains until the client PC reboots.

edit - try turning off window firewall before accessing the share, cs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom