setup.exe files (delete or keep)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriskringle

Baseband Member
My Desktop is almost completely covered with icons. The problem is that with most Software (ZoneAlarm, Spybot, Privacy Guardian etc) that you download you have two icons, (1) The shortcut to open the program, and (2) The setup.exe file which is not a shortcut.

I was going to put all the setup.exe files in a folder on my desktop for safe keeping to clear up my Desktop but all it does is create a shortcut in the folder.

Do these .exe files serve a purpose anymore since the programs have been set up already or are they required to execute the program and run it.

Also with up-dates you sometimes get a second setup.exe file, I'm sure these can be deleted, ?can they also be deleted?

Yes it's fine to delete the setup files once you've installed the program. I don't keep any of my setup files, mostly because if I ever need them again, it's takes me only a couple of seconds to re-download them. A suggestion for the shortcuts would be to put them in the taskbar. Just right click on the taskbar, enable the quick launch toolbar (might be named something different on a mac right now), and then just drag the shortcuts down to the taskbar. Lock the taskbar once you're done so nothing is changed. Makes your desktop very nice and clean.

i keep a little folder on my c: drive called "Setup Files" and I store them all int here. Granted I can easily download them again, but it's much more convinient to have them in one place. I do that on every computer I build, or computer in my house. It comes in quite handy sometimes. I often times download programs that would be useful to have, but it takes me needless amounts of time to find them on the net. This way, I know where they all are.

But yes, once installed, they are fine to delete.

Kriskringle said:

I was going to put all the setup.exe files in a folder on my desktop for safe keeping to clear up my Desktop but all it does is create a shortcut in the folder.

You cant just click, hold, and drag with *.exe's like that. Right click, hold, and drag. When you get to the destination and drop it, it will ask you if you want to Copy it here, move it here, or delete it. choose move, it is the same as Cut.

CHEERS

Good to know there fine to delete, lads.

HIM: nice wee tip about movin .exe files to a folder on the desktop. It's simple processes like this that you learn everyday that make all the difference, know matter how insignificant they may seem to others.

Exactly, people dont understand that little things like this can compound on each other and one could learn a great deal just by knowing something simple like this. Very few people understand the value of learning small things, clearly you do.

I'm glad i could be of service to you, and keep up your mindset about learning. It is a good way to be.

-Bones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom