settings transfer - Server 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

canooten

In Runtime
Is there a somewhat easy way to back up/transfer settings from one Win 2000 Server machine to another?

We have a machine in our office that is primarily used as a VPN server. No data is stored. This box is several years old and I've already had to replace some odd & end parts, so I'm trying to plan ahead for when a critical part goes. I'd like to set up a separate machine (with a fresh Windows install) and simply transfer the setup from the existing box to the backup....then if something fouls up on the current machine I can just swap them out on the network until I can fix the original and cut the down time.

Is there a way to do this through Windows, or would I need to manually configure? I ask because I'm not the one that set this machine up and don't know that I'd be able to simply "copy" the settings from one to another manually and get it all right.

if the hardware is the same, you can image the server with disk cloning software. ghost, acronis, or drivexml would work. This would make an exact copy of what is on the current server. When disaster strikes, you would restore the image to the new hardware.

if the hardware is different, you could sysprep the box and do the same a above. After restoring the image a mini setup will reconfigure the OS for the new hardware.
How to Use Sysprep: An Introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom