Setting up Windows Server with Dynamic IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Tyler 1989

Beta member
I have a computer set up right now with Windows Server 2003. I to use Active Directory and other fun things for centralized password management and stuff like that. Now normally this isn't a problem but my ISP gives me an Dynamic IP address.

In order to correctly configure my Server I need to set Static DNS, IP, Subnet, etc. Can this be done I'm behind a Linksys WRT54Gv5 Router and from there my server and other computers are connected to it.

Is it possible to force a static IP address from the router to a specific computer that is connected to the router through MAC addresses? And can someone also help me with setting up static DNS's and Subnets.

If there is a router between your server and the ISP you can set your IP toi whatever you want. The router gets a dynamic address from the ISP and you set your router to send out addresses to the rest of your "domain".

yeah go into router settings and set a static ip for your computer.

then put that ip into your server settings. :) ^^

This is pretty easy on any home user based router..pretty much they usually all start of the DHCP address range after .100 which means you pretty much have 99 static IP address to choose from since they will not be given out.

I usually give my server something like 192.168.1.10 and all the defaults you have set for the subnet mask and gateway address.

However if you are running a windows 2003 server I would assume you would want to use DHCP on it as well? If so remeber to disable DHCP on the router or there will be big problems for you.

The static IP addresses on your network all depend on your DHCP scope so we would need more info on that part :)

Right thanks I got the server up and running with the address 192.168.68.10 and it works just fine I got all my DC functions running the way I need them too. But I cannot connect to the internet to get updates for the server. I suppose this isn't needed since I'm not connected to the internet and can't be attacked in a sense. But is there a way to get the best of both worlds, a DC and the internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom