setting up a server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

delsol_ca

Solid State Member
i have a dell server (win 2k) which hosts our website .. its connected to the router that has 14 other computesr
i wana format all the 14 computers and create individual accounts for xp so users can have individual usernames and passwords and their info can be saved on the server... is that possible?

can someon eplease tell me what to install on the server? i'm guessing win 2003 server... and what do i put on the other 14 computesr? and how do i set it up? any suggestions?

thanks in advance

you could use active directory, and unless each user has his OWN system, setup a roaming profile so when they goto the computer (regardless of where it is at) the profile follows depending on the user log/authentication. You also will setup permissions, etc. Explaining would take alot of time on how to setup groups and user as well as permissions, etc... best thing to do is a google for basic info for Active Directory.

What he said. AD is very simple to setup and configure though. Took me all of 4 hours to build, setup and configure a test server that we are using to send our PXE boot requests. It's running AD native, DNS, DHCP, and a special program we are testing. Pretty cool and almost too easy.

still kinda of confused about AD? ... i understand about DNS and DHCP server settings and what not... but what about the client computer? what os are they gona run?

thanks in advance...

a link to a tutorial from scratch would be greatly appriciated...
i have to get this up and running by this saturday...

i wanted to do this a couple years back when xp came out...

i went to barnes n noble and did some reading...

it worked for me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom