Setting up remote access

Status
Not open for further replies.

therogueranger

Beta member
I am trying to connect my Win 98 Pc to a WinXP PC in order to share the other PC's broadband connection. I can dial up to the host modem but now it wants a user name and password to complete the connection. What do I do to setup user/password on the XP computer. I am not real comfortable with XP yet.
Thanks

I would assume its a user name or password of that pc your trying to dial into, or it could be you isp username and password. Give it a try it cant hurt :)

I am dialing to the other computer directly(modem to modem).
I just don't know where to go in the WinXP system to set it up. The help files are too convoluted for me to follow...
Thanks

what you are doing is not common. the best way to set up internet sharing is buy a router with built in switch, most routers come with this standard. this provides protection on the internet (NAT) and usually they provide up to 4 ports to connect computers to the network.

okay, maybe i could explain that easier, lets say this: get a router, plug your broadband internet into the WAN port, and plug each computer to the device ports on the router's built in switch. CAT5 is most commonly used and network speeds are typically 100Mbps.

a less common way to do this is through ICS type sharing. one computer must be always on that acts as a internet sharing server. you would use one network card that plugs straight into your cable/ dsl modem and the second network card plugs into another computer which is sharing the internet connection

you can use a hub with ICS to share your internet among multiple computers. the second network card would plug to the hub and all other computers plug into the hub. sygate home or office network is a good software for ICS. realistically ICS is only good if you want to aggregate 2 internet connections together to form one fat pipe.

PC 1 is 10 miles from PC 2. I figure modem-to-modem via phone line is the only option I have without investing in more equipment.

okay well you failed to mention that simple fact. that is something entirely different from what you were asking. sorry i cannot help much with this one, let's see if the networking gurus can guide you in the right direction.

I'm thinking for your needs, VPN might work but i am not sure if that allows you to share the internet connection remotely. i am sure you would have to set up a machine to act as the server to do what you want.

another thing and probably the easiest is have a computer dedicated as the remote desktop server. you could use the winXP cd to setup remote desktop client onto the win98 machine. the win98 machine would connect to a winXP machine serving up the internet connection, this is really a poor solution though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom