Setting program priority - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 12:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Setting program priority

When I did some comparisons I was shocked to find that on my current computer some of my VB programs run far slower than on my old computer. The current computer (a Dell) is considerably faster in theory and yet some VB programs run only at a third of the speed, which is very surprising.

I found that on the old computer Windows Task Manager shows 100 percent CPU use when running a VB program (and on other applications such as gmax). But on the Dell it is about 50 percent.

However, increasing the priority in Windows Task Manager had no effect (and the higher setting defaults back to normal the next time I run the program). Windows Help isn't much good. The setting in Control Panel / System is already set to give priority to applications and not to background tasks.

CPU use is only about 50% in other applications such as Microsoft Flight Simulator and Far Cry. This strongly suggests I could get better performance with games and simulators.

So my question is: how do I adjust the priority of applications so they can use virtually all of the available CPU power? I'm running Windows XP Home.

Many thanks.

Best regards,
Chris

Old 04-24-2006, 12:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

never believe a computer spec from dell. dell purposely restrict the output (or performance) to keep returns down. a 2.5 Pentium 512mb dell run at about the same speed as a 1.5 pent III 256mb machine. a lot of store made computers do that. that's why you build your own computer.

Old 04-24-2006, 01:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for that. I'm a little shocked to hear that. I wonder, could you be more specific as to how they might turn down the performance? If they turned down the clock speed but still advertised it as 3.2 Ghz then they would probably be breaking the Trades Description Act (in the UK). I'm sure the US has similar laws.

That wouldn't explain what I'm seeing. Also, I did some performance checks and found that in Microsoft Flight Simulator and Far Cry the frame rate performance was quite good, in FS it exceeded the clock speed ratios compared to the old computer, possibly due to a better graphics card.

If Dell have reduced the performance then it's probably a Windows setting. I found several fixes on this forum (adjustments in Windows Task Manager and a batch file with the line
start /high editor.exe -DEVMODE

None of these fixes made the slightest difference. Is this suspicious? Have those fixes been confirmed to work? Could there be a Windows setting elsewhere that has higher priority?

By the way, I had already decided I won't be buying another Dell for other reasons. I'm not entirely surprised that their shares have plunged over the last year!

Best regards,
Chris
Old 04-24-2006, 01:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Well i can say that i dont have any issues with my Dell. They dont have anything turned down or off. Everything is recognized as how it should. Of course i also have run some tweak apps and other tools to boost my performance.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 04-24-2006, 02:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

they restrict the performance on their custum built motherboards. this way, you can't tell that they did it.

do you know how you can tell the difference? by taking all of the parts out and putting them on another motherboard. you will now have a lot faster computer
Old 04-24-2006, 03:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

So in other words if i took my parts off and put them on a different mobo then i would see a difference? I might just have to try that.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 04-24-2006, 04:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Makaveli213
So in other words if i took my parts off and put them on a different mobo then i would see a difference? I might just have to try that.
Exactly
Old 04-24-2006, 04:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Techie

Wouldnt that void his warrenty with dell?
Old 04-24-2006, 04:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by baronvongogo
Wouldnt that void his warrenty with dell?
yes. when I usually swap out, I use a new computer case w/power supply, so it don't even look like a dell

Closed Thread