Setting Permissions Messed Up Laptop - HELP!

I dont have an optical drive in my laptop. So I cant use a reinstall disc. And I dont have any backups. What do you suggest?

What version of Windows are you running, and what edition? I.e. Win7 Home Premium, etc.?

You can create a bootable USB drive with Microsoft's USB Tool: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

You'll need a Windows ISO - which is why I asked what version you have, so I can possibly link you to a download for one.

Hi Carnage and Zaka.. To answrr your question, I'm running 8.1.

So Carnage, according to the link you posted, I need to install the USB/DVD Download Tool and a Windows 8.1 ISO onto a USB pen drive? After I plug it in, it'll fix it? But where do I get a Windows 8.1 ISO from?

I read the link and I'm confused. If I download and place the media creation tool which is 1.4MB on my USB, how will it be able to install windows without a Windows 8.1 ISO on it?

You need to run the media creation tool, which will download the Win8 ISO for you. I believe it also will prompt you if you want to install it onto a flash drive or not(which is what you will do).

You need to run the media creation tool, which will download the Win8 ISO for you. I believe it also will prompt you if you want to install it onto a flash drive or not(which is what you will do).

I see.. It will download the ISO automatically. But thats strange.. how will it interact with the network card in order to download it if the laptop isn't responsive?

So after I get it on the USB pen drive, plug it in, do I press any keys at boot up? Or will it just do its thing without pressing any keys?

Last edited:
Carnage I'm fixing it finally. As of this writing, I'm now reinstalling windows. So I'll also be reinstalling apps. The fu'cked up part now is to remember the settings to these apps.

Appreciate that you provided all your advice and attention during this difficult situation.

Back
Top Bottom