Setting Permissions Messed Up Laptop - HELP!

koolx

Baseband Member
I got Windows 8.1. Yesterday I messed around with setting some permissions in order to gain access to some folders. I messed up because I ended up with many unresponsive programs and very slow laptop. And many store apps wont open.

How can I reset permissions to default? Or do I run a full repair?

Open the start menu and search 'system restore', open it. when it is open, it will ask you to select a restore point, choose the latest restore point that was created before the problem occured. after this, your computer will restart and it will go through some restore sequences. just wait for these sequences to complete and then you are done.

Open the start menu and search 'system restore', open it.

I tried it. But dumb me messed with the permissions again after I restored my laptop and got the same problem. That was my only restore point.

So what do you suggest I try now?

I suggest you stop messing with permissions that are messing up your system...

You should be able to restore back to that restore point unless you deleted it or something.

You can try enabling the hidden Admin account, restoring your permissions you messed with to your original account, and then disabling the Admin account again (do NOT use the Admin account for everyday-use). To enable/disable the Admin account: Windows 8: Enable the hidden Administrator Account - gHacks Tech News

After that...stop messing with permissions that are getting you into such a situation. If you really want to play with permissions to see what does/doesn't work, use a VM.

You can try enabling the hidden Admin account, restoring your permissions you messed with to your original account, and then disabling the Admin account again (do NOT use the Admin account for everyday-use). To enable/disable the Admin account.

Hi Carnage.. I went into the hidden admin account using the command prompt as instructed by the link you posted. But after I did, the link doesnt say the next step. All it says is to download a file to restore my password. But my issue isnt a lost password.

I did press shift and start and tried entering as admin. It gave me 2 options to enter, which was through Admin or regular ID (my name and email address). I entered using the latter with no problem. I also tried to enter as Admin. When I used the password associated with my regular ID, I couldnt enter which makes no sense since thats the only password I created when I first got my laptop. Maybe you can help with that.

Anyway, I'm thinking of repairing permissions with tweaking.com's All-in-one Windows Repair. Do you think I should?

Also I found 'reset' and 'refresh' as possible repair tools.

Which option do you suggest I choose?

Hi Carnage.. I went into the hidden admin account using the command prompt as instructed by the link you posted. But after I did, the link doesnt say the next step. All it says is to download a file to restore my password. But my issue isnt a lost password.
That's because those are just instructions on recovering a lost password. I meant just follow the instructions to enable the hidden Admin account so that you can log in with the Admin account, correct the permissions you messed up for your normal user account, and then disable the Admin account again.

I did press shift and start and tried entering as admin. It gave me 2 options to enter, which was through Admin or regular ID (my name and email address). I entered using the latter with no problem. I also tried to enter as Admin. When I used the password associated with my regular ID, I couldnt enter which makes no sense since thats the only password I created when I first got my laptop. Maybe you can help with that.
The hidden Admin account won't have a password associated with it (will be a blank password, essentially).

Anyway, I'm thinking of repairing permissions with tweaking.com's All-in-one Windows Repair. Do you think I should?
Never heard of it.

Also I found 'reset' and 'refresh' as possible repair tools.

Which option do you suggest I choose?

Refresh = will basically do a "repair install" without wiping your personal files - but it will wipe your programs, I believe.

Reset = basically reinstalling Windows from the recovery section, which includes wiping your personal files out.

I now got a HUGE problem. After I ran the Windows All in One Repair tool, it restarted and it gave a message saying: "Scanning and repairing drive C. 10% done." It stayed this way for 5 hours and I powered down the laptop.

I rebooted and I now get a black screen that stays like this forever. It doesnt boot to any screen or to the desktop.

I cant even boot into safe mode anymore. It just stays black. What do I do now?

Last edited:
If you have your reinstall disc, you can reinstall now.

Did you already have data backups, or do you need to recover your data before reinstalling Windows? If so...then I'd recommend downloading a Linux LiveCD (such as Ubuntu), boot off of it, and then copy your data you want from your HDD to a backup destination (flash drive, external HDD, etc.).

If you have your reinstall disc, you can reinstall now.

Did you already have data backups, or do you need to recover your data before reinstalling Windows? If so...then I'd recommend downloading a Linux LiveCD (such as Ubuntu), boot off of it, and then copy your data you want from your HDD to a backup destination (flash drive, external HDD, etc.).

I dont have an optical drive in my laptop. So I cant use a reinstall disc. And I dont have any backups. What do you suggest?

Back
Top Bottom