setting granular permissions with XP PRO??? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 05:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via ICQ to ALL4SPL Send a message via AIM to ALL4SPL Send a message via Yahoo to ALL4SPL
Default setting granular permissions with XP PRO???

Hello guys, I dont know if this has ever been discussed, but I need to know how to set up permissions with XP Pro. I know how to do it with 2k Pro, but I just cant do it on this box here.

What I think I have figured out is that you have to join a domain to get these priveledges. All I have is "sharing and security" and nothing where I can go deep and get all the cool checkboxes and what-not for each folder or file.

Im pretty sure people know what I am talking about

thx anyways...

Old 05-12-2005, 05:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via ICQ to ALL4SPL Send a message via AIM to ALL4SPL Send a message via Yahoo to ALL4SPL

is it some sort of policy that i have to enable ???

im going to do some searching I guess.

Old 05-12-2005, 05:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

i seem to be narrowing down my inquiry to something that has to do with "access control"
I see views but noone who can help?
Old 05-12-2005, 06:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

got it

just by opening a random post on this windows help forum, what a coincidence

control panel - folder options - view tab - uncheck 'use simple file sharing'
Old 05-12-2005, 06:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

unfortunately i cannot set permissions for computers in my workgroup.

basically what needs to be done is share a file/folder from this computer on the network, and then not have one certain computer on the network be able to see it or access it.

jeez im post whoring my own post sorry for the rambling, but Im getting somewhere just by digging in a bit... any help on the above question would be very helpful.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Maybe gpedit.msc? I'm not exactly sure what you're lookin for, but:
Start -> Run -> gpedit.msc -> Look here!

-SkyHi
Old 05-12-2005, 02:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

without checking, if that is the group policy editor, i've toyed around the group policy console in mmc already... didnt find what I was looking for.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

start ---> run ---> control userpasswords2

You can set individual permissions for different users using this utility. Very nice actually. If I remember correctly there's several different groups you can assign users to, and even create your own.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Techie

if you are in a workgroup setup, there is not really anyway for you to hid a share from a specific computer if it is shared out. It's a limit on the workgroup functionality. The idea is that we all get to share....
You can limit the rights by not granting access to specific people, but that is really it. Aside from that, there isn't much you can do. Now if you make all the shares hidden, you could write a little login script to map the drives on the machines for each user except that one machine.
good luck
Old 05-13-2005, 05:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Obtruse_Man4
start ---> run ---> control userpasswords2

You can set individual permissions for different users using this utility. Very nice actually. If I remember correctly there's several different groups you can assign users to, and even create your own.
looks like this is for individuals on the local computer where the share is held, correct? not quite what I am looking for... I could be wrong of course in what you are saying

Closed Thread