setting granular permissions with XP PRO???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALL4SPL

Solid State Member
Hello guys, I dont know if this has ever been discussed, but I need to know how to set up permissions with XP Pro. I know how to do it with 2k Pro, but I just cant do it on this box here.

What I think I have figured out is that you have to join a domain to get these priveledges. All I have is "sharing and security" and nothing where I can go deep and get all the cool checkboxes and what-not for each folder or file.

Im pretty sure people know what I am talking about :)

thx anyways...

is it some sort of policy that i have to enable ???

im going to do some searching I guess.

i seem to be narrowing down my inquiry to something that has to do with "access control"
I see views but noone who can help?

got it :)

just by opening a random post on this windows help forum, what a coincidence :)

control panel - folder options - view tab - uncheck 'use simple file sharing'

unfortunately i cannot set permissions for computers in my workgroup.

basically what needs to be done is share a file/folder from this computer on the network, and then not have one certain computer on the network be able to see it or access it.

jeez im post whoring my own post :) sorry for the rambling, but Im getting somewhere just by digging in a bit... any help on the above question would be very helpful.

Maybe gpedit.msc? I'm not exactly sure what you're lookin for, but:
Start -> Run -> gpedit.msc -> Look here!

-SkyHi

without checking, if that is the group policy editor, i've toyed around the group policy console in mmc already... didnt find what I was looking for.

start ---> run ---> control userpasswords2

You can set individual permissions for different users using this utility. Very nice actually. If I remember correctly there's several different groups you can assign users to, and even create your own.

if you are in a workgroup setup, there is not really anyway for you to hid a share from a specific computer if it is shared out. It's a limit on the workgroup functionality. The idea is that we all get to share....
You can limit the rights by not granting access to specific people, but that is really it. Aside from that, there isn't much you can do. Now if you make all the shares hidden, you could write a little login script to map the drives on the machines for each user except that one machine.
good luck

Obtruse_Man4 said:
start ---> run ---> control userpasswords2

You can set individual permissions for different users using this utility. Very nice actually. If I remember correctly there's several different groups you can assign users to, and even create your own.

looks like this is for individuals on the local computer where the share is held, correct? not quite what I am looking for... I could be wrong of course in what you are saying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom