Set Active drive as one that doesn't work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiazox

Solid State Member
Ok, i set the D:, which should be a HP_Recovery drive as the active drive, thinking that it would do a system recovery. But the files on the D: must have been deleted and now Vista won't boot!!

Why are you yelling at me?

Usually to do a recovery you need to boot into the recovery console. Which is something like F8 (during loading it should breifly give you what key to hit to enter the recovery console).

The recovery console isn't a separate drive, but a partition on the same drive as what you are probably working on right now (this is the normal setup for store bought computers). So i'm not sure what you mean by setting D as the active drive.

Did you go through the recovery options? What prompted this? Maybe we can walk you through fixing the issue.

Just a word of warning - going through HP's recovery steps WILL DELETE ALL AND ANY FILES ON YOUR COMPUTER. It will set the computer back to its original state.

The only thing I can do is get the HP Startup Menu whcih gives the following options:

F1 - System Information
F2 - System Diagnostics
F7 - HP SpareKey
F9 - Boot Device Options
F10 - BIOS Setup
F12 - Network Boot

f9 gives
Notebook Ethernet
Notebook Upgrade Bay
Notebook Gard Drive

Btw, it was always my intention to set laptop back to factory settings & i also can burn cds from my PC

Also, if i were to use the Disk Sanitizer at this point would it delete my C: as well?

There were 3 different steps listed. Not 1 of them worked? If not get the media on order from HP. Your Recovery drive is gone and there is no way other than a format and reinstall with the Vista Media to restore your PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom