services perpetually "starting"

sum1nowhere

Baseband Member
My computer updated last night and restarted itself. This morning I logged in and it said that system event notification service failed to start. Then I noticed my Wi-Fi wasn't working. Apparently that service was down too. I've spent the better part of the day trying to resolve this issue. I did a system restore back to the sixth, but that did nothing. My system was fine on the sixth. In services it says system event notification service is starting. It never changes to started. When I try to start wlan service it says error 1747 authentication service is unknown. Any ideas?

What version of Windows are you using? If it's Windows Vista or 7, have you tried the repair disk?

What if you uninstall all your drivers related to networking and then re install them?

I am using windows seven. My laptop didn't come with a repair disc. I have a recovery drive,but isn't just for reformatting?I don't want to reformat.

Yeah the recovery option will reformat your hard drive and reinstall windows for you.

Have you tried uninstalling any network drivers and reinstalling them yet?

No,how would I do that?

I uninstall the network driver. Unfortunately, now the device has #2 after its name in the device manager after reinstallation. The problem still exists. Just now there is a nifty #2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, can you re install the drivers from a driver backup disk they might of given you or get them from the internet?

I already installed it again I downloaded it on my phone. That is why I said it still has the same problem.

Do you think it might be a virus? Is there anything having to do with ads anywhere?
If not, something in Windows must of got really screwed up. It's also possible your wireless card quit working.

Back
Top Bottom