Not open for further replies.

xXxexpertxXx

In Runtime
OK so i have downloaded this "Download Windows XP Services Pack 3 RC1"

and i have burned it to a cd now, when i insert the cd it asks me to

Install Windows Xp
Learn more about the setup process

and blah blah.

Its just like if i insert my normal Windows XP reformater. Now if i click install windows Xp is this gonna reformat my whole computer? Or just isntall Service Pack 3. All i wanna do is isntall Service Pack 3.

Also, what is so good about SP3?

I'd honestly just wait till SP3 is officially released. It's not supported yet, and if you have problems, your help may be quite limited.

Edit: Also, there's a RC2 out, if you haven't noticed: Download details: Windows XP SP3 RC2

And you don't need to burn it to a CD...it's an executable.

With the issues you have been having i would skip installing a Beta that is not supported by Microsoft. Considering it is a Beta for a reason. There are still bugs and glitches in it!!

Tell me about "bugs + glitches"! I have the SP3 second beta already saved in a folder at the moment and still haven't touched it. All the new SP will see is all updates since SP2 came out in November 2004.

If you are currently updated with the latest security fixes and other items don't even bother with it at this time. Wait for the final version. If any problems are seen then you can simply roll the system back.

I never understand why anyone would want to install a beta version of a service pack. As previously stated it's guaranteed to have bugs and glitches and god knows what else.

Hence the beta get passed to the testers to iron out these issues before being released to the public (that's us!).

I wonder what you were hoping to gain from installing SP3???

Have i used beta's? Sure, i'm browsing using the beta of Firefox3, but hey it's just a browser and not a shed load of new stuff for my operating system that's gonna do me over is it?

If you're a tester for Microsoft you may well enjoy messing with SP3 but for the rest of us just wait til it's officially released!

I am a Beta Tester for Microsoft. So for me it is part of my agreement that i test and report any bugs i find. ;) So for me i have to get the Beta to test it out. After the Beta is finished I usually get the product early in advance and am avble to use it fully legit.

Like Vista SP1. I have had that for almost 2 months now. I got it not long after they put it as final. While the rest have had to wait. so there is a good side to beta testing. Stuff free and before everyone else. Bad side. You crash your PC often and have to reinstall.

For beta testing I can imagine you have a second system for that rather then trashing your main system or at least main drive there. If anything goes toast you still have a running system to work with.

For those with prebuilt systems seeing Windows preinstalled they would be advised to avoid betas along with those without a disk to see Windows reinstalled if unable to repair. If anything crashes here well that old ide drive can be plugged back in again before that gets a permanent wipe.

Nope. Not me. I trash my main system. I do not use a test rig. I feel that the testing shoudl be done on a normal PC that does everyday tasks. Doing it on a test rig only shows that with minimal stuff installed it works fine. But how does it react when you start to put software on there? How do you know ti doesnt crash with certain software?

These are the things i go after. Not for some basic testing with minimal apps or anything like that. I go all out. So when i say that a Beta product is workign good. That is on my machine that i use everyday.

What I was referring to there is loading up a test machine just like your normal everyday system without trashing all of your personal data when you have to clean everything off to start all over. In fact there you would add things you normally wouldn't see on your daily system in order to push things to the max in that regard. 20 games, some CAD programs, Office software, and anything and everything you can toss on. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom