Service Pack 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phippy

Beta member
Hi, I'm new, so please bear with me if I miss something. I did a search and didn't find this specific problem.

My question: I'm using XP Pro and when I try to install Service Pack 2, what I judge to be about 3/4 of the way through the installation, I get a fatal error message saying, "Permission Denied". It doesn't tell me which attempted acces was denied.

I am logged on as Administrator, so I'm at a loss for a permission problem.

Can anyone give me any suggestions?

I'm sure someone will ask, so let me say that I have an original, purchased by me, copy of XP Pro. I'm not using some pirated disk or key.

Thanks for your help,
Phil

I'm using the SP2 CD I ordered from Microsoft. My version only had SP1. As I said, I'm logged on as Aministrator during the installation. Just to be sure, I also downloaded it from windowsupdate and got the same message.

I set up two other accounts with admin status and tried installing under them. Same message.

About slipstream, I have no idea. I'm reading the link you posted and downloaded the installer. The Microsoft article held true for a bit, but I didn't find Error 5 in the suggested file.

autostreamer is the way to go if you dont mind wiping out your system for about 45 minutes or so..

Warez Monster said:
autostreamer is the way to go if you dont mind wiping out your system for about 45 minutes or so..

this is the simplest route (autostreamer). it's as simple as putting your xp disc in 1 cd rom and your sp2 in another and run the program. it will rip you an xp sp2 disc onto your hard drive as an .iso file. you can burn that as a disc image with alcohol, nero or roxio 5,6

That's no problem as long as it's restored. I'm taking the lazy man's way out because I've got so much crap on this comp that I don't want to have to transfer back.

Here in the hills of Tennessee, my only option is dialup. No DSL, no cable, and lousy sattelite reception (based on complaints from my neighbors, and line-of-sight wireless hasn't made it this far out of Memphis). So the idea of doing updates scares me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom