[Server2k3] User name and Log ins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
I have installed Server 2003r2.
I would like to set this up to be my file server for my 2 laptops.

Under Server 2003, where do I find User Name / Passwords so I can allow my laptops to access the files?

Do I need to create an active directory first?

I believe you have to create a Active Directory at the least.

Yeah. You do. However i think i doing so last night, stuff up my interent access to this PC.

It is possible that setting up the Active Directory created some Group Policies that need to be adjusted or the Active Directory itself might need to be adjusted.

I dont have much experience with AD. I do have a Server 2008 AD Ebook. But not sure how well it translates to Server 2003 info.

With such a relatively small network, I would think you could do this locally as a "Workgroup". No need to create an Active Directory domain IMO.

My memory is a little sketchy, because for the most part, the class I am in (currently MSExchange and Internet Information Services (IIS), we are concentrating on the Exchange infrastructure. Last semester we covered local networks VERY very briefly, then jumped into Active Directory, which ultimately lead to the MSExchange class I have now. So I digress...

Unless you plan to expand beyond the three computers, I would think you could just keep them as a workgroup. If anyone knows something I stated is incorrect, let me know, because I am not just a student, I am a "client" ;) (Sick computer joke, I know) *

* For some non-US citizens, if that last phrase is vague, it refers to a commercial that used to run in the States for some hair regrowth product, of which the name escapes me.

I dont think he is trying to set it up for specifically his network. I think he is trying to learn it on his own so he knows how to set it up and implement it if asked to b a customer.

ooh ok, well you are right for those purposes, that Active Directory needs to be installed in order to use file sharing resources and passwords to be managed. Make those computers "computer accounts" after AD is installed, to which access by individuals can be controlled by the administrator of the server.

That computer would be considered the first domain controller in the forest as well as the domain once the domain is actually created, and will contain a plethora of built-in services and other features that a larger domain in the future will refer to.

All that added info stuff doesnt really apply right now, but it is a little bit of what you can do with Windows Server 2003 and Active Directory. I got to say, it is really interesting to use.

Another side note of added info, a domain controller has Active Directory on it, and a member server is one that does not have Active Directory installed on it, but is still considered part of the domain.

you can modify user accounts in local users and computers (admin tools > computer management)

you can modify permissions via ntfs acls (right click file or folder, click security tab)

you can modify shares via computer management

you can then connect to the share with the laptop. if the logged in user does not exist on the server, the user will be prompted for credentials.

no ad required. this is considered a peer to peer network where ad is client server.

peer to peer : each machine controls its resources

client server : resources are centrally controlled by server

With such a relatively small network, I would think you could do this locally as a "Workgroup". No need to create an Active Directory domain IMO.

So was I right with this part of my response, Office ? Because initially I felt AD wasnt necessary, but Mak pointed out that he felt the OP wanted to learn different scenarios (not paraphrased exactly). It was IMO that AD was not necessary but recanted when it seemed that using AD was for learning purposes.

Yes, you were correct in your first response. The original post just states that KC is looking to add accounts to the machine for purposes of sharing resources. I think that Mak was just reading into the original post a little too much. In any event, in this particular case, ad isn't necessary but, if he wanted to setup a domain for centrally controlled share management, he could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom