Server Setup Suggestions - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 10-03-2006, 12:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Server Setup Suggestions

Hi, sorry for the vagueness of this post. But I am trying to give a brief overview of the current state of our network. .

Our company has a Windows Server 2003 with around 15-20 XP clients. Around 6 of these clients are laptops.

What we would like to know is

What is the best way to manage profiles on the network if users move to different computers at work? E.g. Roaming profiles.

We currently have Outlook 2003 installed on all machines, there .pst are stored in their local settings. Would anything happen if the .pst file is moved to their My Documents area.

Currently, if a user logs onto a different machine and wants to use Outlook they need to create an account on that machine which causes a problem if messages are deleted from the server. We do not have Exchange Server, although I am hoping to persuade Senior Management.

What is the best way to look after laptops when they are taken offline? If we use folder redirection wouldn’t copying 10-15GB of data take for ages to copy to and from the server when laptops are once again connected to the server.

Would redirecting ‘My Documents’ to a server share being advantageous, but this brings the problem of when the laptop is taken offline, will users still be able to access this folder.

If anyone could suggest what they would do with the above scenario I would be glad to hear. Thanks in advance and sorry again for the vagueness.

Old 10-03-2006, 01:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Couple of suggestions for you.
1) GET EXCHANGE SERVER. It is so easy to use and you can get email at any workstation. Plus you can set up webmail and get your email anywhere all syncronized.

2)for the laptops i prefer having a network drive for my documents. you can set up a script to map a drive so you can get my docs from any computer. Then you can sync the docs and they can access and change files off the network and resync when they get back.
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 :: INTEL i7 920 @3.4 :: XFX GTX260 :: 6gb Corsair 1600 :: Corsair 750TX :: TRUE 120 :: Samsung T240 24" :: Windows 7 X64

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Closed Thread