Server Question

4amerigo

Beta member
I accidentally sent an email of a personal nature (intended for my brother) to an employee email address that no longer exists in the company server. I got an automated postmaster email that said it was undelivered and it won't attempt delivery again. Can someone still read this email on the company end?

I accidentally sent an email of a personal nature (intended for my brother) to an employee email address that no longer exists in the company server. I got an automated postmaster email that said it was undelivered and it won't attempt delivery again. Can someone still read this email on the company end?

If it's like the setup where I used to work (University) then only the Postmaster could, in theory, read it. But since they get about a million bounced/dead messages a day (depending on the size of the company) why would they?

The only time our Postmaster (or Mistress, in this case) ever read things was when it was doing something bad - like propagating spam, or holding up a filter, or a post stream/queue, or it was being bounced around. And even then, she only read the headers to try and determine how to get rid of it/block it or the sender.

So I wouldn't worry too much. These days, most of it is fully automated anyway, and if it's not going to be retried for delivery, it will disappear and eventually be deleted.

If it's like the setup where I used to work (University) then only the Postmaster could, in theory, read it. But since they get about a million bounced/dead messages a day (depending on the size of the company) why would they?

The only time our Postmaster (or Mistress, in this case) ever read things was when it was doing something bad - like propagating spam, or holding up a filter, or a post stream/queue, or it was being bounced around. And even then, she only read the headers to try and determine how to get rid of it/block it or the sender.

So I wouldn't worry too much. These days, most of it is fully automated anyway, and if it's not going to be retried for delivery, it will disappear and eventually be deleted.

+1 to all of this.

They could read it, but probably won't.

Next time - triple check who you're sending to ;).

Back
Top Bottom