Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark_Sniper*

Fully Optimized
waht do i need to set a computer as a server for files such as moives, music, programs, nothing more i want this thing to be for downloading and storage nothing more.

is that a question or a statement?

Well, let me give you some pointers.

Firstly look at your Internet/Network Connection. If you want a high speed home server you may want to invest in Gigabit Network equipment. If you want to broadcast to the rest of the world, you need a decent upload speed. Eg. If you have a 512kbit/s Upload Speed, you can have 9 Dialup Users downloading off you at once @ Full speed. Even then, for users with faster internet, they can hog your bandwidth. Probly the simplest option would be to set up a Desktop Computer with several large HDD's and possibly a raid (0,1 -Speed, Redundancy) controller and gigabit. Also, you might want to run web site files or a torrent tracker so you will need to think about software. Linux would be a good choice, it is free, flexible and stable. Server software like Apache will manage your web serving and other serving software like Samba can manage your local file serving.

Wayne

nice. well i dont know yet if i wantt o share the server with others or not i most likey will i jsut need the stuff first. I need to call up my ISp tomorrow and find out what i really have. ;)

Bad call....

Your ISP will get pissy if they learn you are hosting files as a server and may discontinue your service with them if you continue to do that. At least that is what happened to a friend.

Well, as long as he doesnt mention "sever" he should be fine. I dont see why hosting files would be a problem. I have ran servers at times on my connection without annoyance with the ISP. Read the terms and conditions and see if it mentions anything bout servers.

yea im not going to sau the word server, im only going to ask my speeds so i know what im able to do. ;)

this is what it says.

our connection rating is:

[Test Home | Re-Test]
See our forum for speed tips

Your connection is: 224 Kbps (about 0.2 Mbps)
You uploaded at: 27 kB/s
Your TRuSPEED: ^info^ 240 Kbps :: 29 kB/s (7% overhead factored)
Bottom Line: You are running: 4 times faster than 56K and can upload 1 megabyte in 37.93 second(s)
Diagnosis: 90% + Okay : running at 100 % of your hosts average (86.211)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom