Server 2003 Shares

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrena

Baseband Member
Ok I'm in Server 2003 >File Server Management

First of all:
There are some default shared folders like: C$, IPC$, Microsoft UAM Volume, NETLOGIN, Sysvol, VPHOME, VPLOGIN
I know the last two have to do with corporate antivirus, but I want people to join the domain and not have to see these folders since they aren't going to need to put their data into them. Is there a way to hide them so they don't have to see them?? I do think they still need to be shared though.

Second of all:
Can I create a share so only certain people in the domain see it when they logon? How?

The $ makes any share folder hidden so the user will not see the folder when he browse the network. First create the group with the user that you want to access the folder. Right click on the folder go to share set the share name and add a $ after it if you like to make it hidden, set the user limit go to permission and assign the share permissions for that folder.
Make sure to select "allow inheritable permissions from parent to propagate to this object" Then remove any user group or user that don't have permission to access the folder and then add the group you created and the administrator group.

Thank You for your reply.

Could you explain something to me? In Computer Management>Shares it is showing all the above mentioned folders as shared. When I go to the C: and look at the folders and click it's properties, it says it is not shared????? Why is this? Kind of confusing, I'd say.

The root of each volume (C$,D$,etc.) the system root folder (Admin$) and the location of the print drivers (Print$) are all hidden administrative shares that only Administrators can access from another computer across the network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom