Server 2003 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayer

In Runtime
So my dad wants to build a server to manage the 5 computers and 2 printers on our network, as well as be able to use the server as a multimedia pc to rum movies, music, a little gaming, and anything else.

I have never built a server before, let alone used windows server 2003 (im assuming small business edition is what i would get). is server edition only designed to work as a server? can someone use that server as a computer to do any task that xp can do?

I am a little lost, as runing multimedia stuff off a server is not very common.

If you have any suggestions or info if it is possible to do this please help. also, would server edition take advantage of a dual core proc?

For your needs, I wouldnt even worry about Server2003.

For a multimedia server, WinXP will do just fine.

In your situation, Server 2003 will be most useful if you want to be able to do the following:

-Log onto any computer with the same username and password, without having to configure it on each computer.
-You have several websites that need hosting on one computer.
-You want to set up DHCP

Server 2003 has a lot of features, but I dont think its what you need.

yes, my dad wants all the accounts to be on the server, and other comps log into it. also having it run a dhcp server would be nice, im getting sick of my linksys router.

Then yes, you would run Server 2003 as an Active Directory Domain Controller (beware: the setup for this kind of thing is very very involved).

And to be able to do all the usual multimedia tasks on it, you have to manually enable DirectX, manually enable sound, etc, but its doable.

For instance, my TV card is in my Server 2003 box because there aren't any 64 bit drivers for it yet, and it works just fine on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom